Something is missing

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by tunsel11, August 12, 2018.

1. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

in my mind the simple configuration was made : pa's asset handling such as forum, site, kickstarter, mailing all relating to PA were split up from Uber and handed to PA inc, while Uber entertainment website remains in Uber hands.

you'll notice this forum no longer includes the SMNC 1 & 2 subforums.

UPDATE : actually googling around the link you would expect on https://www.uberent.com/smnc/ "FORUMS »" links to a 404 on this forum :

https://forums.planetaryannihilation.com/categories/super-monday-night-combat.36/

really looks unintentional not sure the idea here is shutting down SMNC community.

God they must hate our guts by now...
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

welp considering this happened ...

https://steamcommunity.com/app/104700/allnews/

appaearantly the recent dataregulation did hit them quite bad ...

i mean weren´t we kinda lucky to keep a dedicated server so mods and ranked games weren´t screwed up?
    Last edited: September 18, 2018
  4. tatsujb

woah no way! plus they're playing it off as "it's GDPR" but all you have to do is update the EULA, I don't think that's what it is. it may just be that SMNC wasn't raking in any money while incurring server costs.

that would make more sense.

I don't know how it would all have played out in other scenarios (such as pay for your copy of the game) but considering the game was very niche there was little in the way of it shutting down eventually.

I really would like to see a bold and generous move on uber's part there such as releasing the source code and rights or giving/selling the game to steam so that it may live on on the servers of someone for whom the costs are no bother.
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

It's GDRP, and the game was built on just enough data collection to cost a company that barely has enough money, their entire company via lawsuit. Better to cut the game off if it's a liability.

PA, apparently, was worth keeping GDRP-complaint. SMNC wasn't worth getting a paid dev to take a look at. Sure there were answers, switching to a client-hosting model and stuff, a swath of gamechange that keeps it running but cuts it free from themselves. 1200 of dev salary, was asking a lot, and I don't blame them, they did their best for the longest with it.
  6. tatsujb

@thetrophysystem I had no clue there was a GDRP-lawsuit against Uber, are there any news articles?
  7. lulamae

lulamae Well-Known Member

It wasn't that there was a lawsuit; it's that they couldn't afford one. So they shut down prior to the GDPR start date.

From https://delistedgames.com/super-monday-night-combat-shutting-down-in-advance-of-gdpr/

My take from reading other articles on the subject is that most games that were running on UberNet have also shut down.

Planetary Annihilation had already been running on PlayFab. Or at least my game always connected to PlayFab.
    tatsujb likes this.
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Enough grounds to catch a lawsuit you don't want, and be expensive enough to cost a company their current value.

No, it hasn't happened yet, why would it have happened WHEN they cut the game down a month in advance?

That's the only way TO prevent lawsuits. That, or spend some staff-salary on sandboxing the game from collecting any data or switching it to player-hosted.

As I said elsewhere, there's at least 5 other popular webservices that ended with GDRP rather than gamble a lawsuit come their way, one being Tunngle. Sometimes it's cheaper to close the door. A lot of other ones, just put a cheap capcha up that asks if you're European and rejects you if so. Technically, I'm told that doesn't guarantee no lawsuits, because European citizens are covered abroad, whether or not they use proxies too, and attempts to bypass region-locking on their end doesn't nullify their rights under GDRP, which still makes them a liability to the webservice.