Some general help on running a dedicated LAN server

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by dangel666, March 31, 2018.

1. dangel666

dangel666 New Member

Hi all,

I had a spare PC lying round and wondered how much difference we'd find in performance when having our own dedicated headless server on the LAN. We had a strange experience in that monitoring server.exe it used (at peak) about 11GB of RAM and only (tops) about 20% CPU.

The machine has 32GB and an I7 CPU (4770) - reasonably beefy - but I was very surprised by the low CPU usage. Perhaps i've done something wrong? It's running a fresh copy of Windows 10. I'm starting it with:

server.exe --allow-lan --game-mode PAExpansion1:lobby --server-name "TimmyTitan" --enable-crash-reporting --mt-enabled

The game itself mostly sat on very low CPU and we experienced slowdowns to around 11% sim speed but oddly this would occasionally ramp up to 100% for small periods of time. I haven't deeply profiled the process to see how it's really scaling (perhaps it isn't) as I only set this up yesterday.

Very interested in tips/views :) Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Server performance is still very much dependent on single core performance. If you look at the CPU usage per core, you'll probably see one core running at 100%.
    See also https://wiki.palobby.com/wiki/Plane.../_RAM_Usage#Sim_Performance_.2F_Time_Dilation for various other considerations.
    dangel666 likes this.