Solar Arrays have Orbital Move again - please revert

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tohron, June 10, 2014.

1. tohron

tohron Active Member

Noticed in a recent FFA that someone was able to move his solar arrays between planets. I checked, and this is in the PTE too. And yes, the solar arrays continue to generate power while in interplanetary transit. As stated in the thread title, I think this should be reverted to how it was before - for the same reason the ability was removed from them in the first place - right now, you can queue up a bunch of interplanetary moves for your solar arrays, and you obtain a nearly indestructible power source. And if you send them toward a planet on a collision course, then they're left completely impossible to destroy.

Posting this here, because I'm not 100% sure this is a bug.
    zweistein000 likes this.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

It's not a bug. Anything built out of the space station can move.

I agree, solar arrays shouldn't be able to move. Either that, or they shouldn't generate power while moving between planets for balance sake. Have them fold up their arrays or something.

Even so, the Solar Array is an energy building. It should be built by Orbital Fabbers and unable to move – just like power plants on the surface.

I'm actually surprised we haven't seen more people building solar arrays and bouncing them back and forth.
  3. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Well, the AI has long started doing the same with their commander if the situation is hopeless. Intentionally or not is a different question, but non the less very annoying.

And having an enemy commander which is lost orbiting the sun is definitely a bug.
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Yes. Very annoying indeed.

At that stage of the game... it's just... let it be over already!
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

no. why?

just wait for interplanetary targeting to be added.
    Last edited: June 10, 2014
  6. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

This is why the Astraeus shouldn't be able to "hop" back and forth without attaching itself onto a launcher (as in the Kickstarter video).

Honestly, the Kickstarter video has so many answers to the problems the community keeps identifying with the implementation of Orbital, it bemuses me as to why they continue to disregard it in favor of "evolving" the mechanic.
    Last edited: June 10, 2014
    zweistein000 and PeggleFrank like this.
  7. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

This would be nice. It doesn't really make sense for them to be units rather than buildings.
    PeggleFrank and brianpurkiss like this.
  8. PeggleFrank

PeggleFrank Active Member

Actually, considering they need energy to move (ion engines, presumably), their energy generation should just be negated while moving.
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

agreed : https://forums.uberent.com/threads/an-idea-or-two-the-orbital-launcher-and-transports.55624/
  10. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Building a solar planet. should go into orbital rotation and thats it. It shouldn be able to move between planets. thats absurd.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  11. Regabond

Regabond Member

I fully support the idea of having solar plants shutdown while moving to a new orbit, or having to build a 1-shot orbital launcher to attach to it and send it on its way.