So who's with me on making a 2nd faction..

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Pawz, September 11, 2012.

1. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

I was thinking about the 1k pledges, and the fact that there will be SIXTY FIVE unique commanders in this game.

SIXTY FIVE

I think ARM had like 60-70 mobile units.

Who wants to help me make a complete faction using only the commanders? :)
  2. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

Well, unless all 65 of those 1k pledges where yours, you aren't going to have 65 different commander choices. I think those are only for the 1k backers, nobody else.
  3. Recon

Recon Member

*whoosh* Straight over the head. No offense, but you missed the point. The commanders will be units in the game, and modders can take any unit and make it into whatever they want. Hence, "making a new faction".

I find it hilarious that there will be enough unique commanders made to create an entire faction! lolz.
  4. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

It gets even funnier when you realise the potential for sympathetic explosions...
  5. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

I'm not talking about making a faction of commanders. I'm talking about taking the models, animations, sounds, etc, and using them to fill out the units for a faction.

So for example I could take Orange Knight's mech of doom that he wants, and make it a AK-sized t1 scout with tiny pew pew lasers. And that's only one of 65 extra models that will be in the game.

Just pointing out that it's a lot of content being made that will be accessible to modders. Which is awesome :)
  6. Recon

Recon Member

Yup. What he said. ^^^

Maybe this is something only modders are gonna understand. The hardest part of making a new unit is making the model and animations. Tossing 65 of these into a "toybox" to use in a mod would take heaps of work off building a new unit. :mrgreen:
  7. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

We are the commanders. We own the galaxy. Oppose us and die!

I like it. Yeah, this game is gonna be a lot of fun to make.
  8. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

Nah, I assumed that that was what he meant, but while it's enough to make a new faction, it's not all that much in total. I get the feeling that even if you end up playing PA a lot, you will never see most of them (thousands of players, less than a hundred with special commanders).

Unfortunately, my sense of humor has been dying after reading every post about planetary annihilation. Still, having a faction of different commanders would be awesome to see.

:D You guys are back? I don't think I've seen you on at all for most of the day. Does that mean you've finished your Update #9 video?
  9. primewar

primewar Member

IMO, additional factions aren't really necessary. Particularly when you consider the short development time on the game and how large a scope it is encompassing.

Even using the rivial commanders, I bet whole games will elapse without players ever seeing the other players commanders. I can't quantify it, but im pretty sure that easily 90% of the games I played in TA/Supcom/FA the enemy commander (if I ever noticed him) was seen from the strategic view or accounted for by a particularly violent screen shake.
  10. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Wooooosh.

We're talking about a Modded Faction FYI.

Mike
  11. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

If one wanted to pool some money for a custom Commander can one share the commander with whomever he wants and even after release?

Bast
  12. KNight

Uber said they'd supply a number of Codes for the Custom Commanders, I think they said 5, but who knows, they do kinda owe us GPGNet-ers no? xD

Mike
  13. primewar

primewar Member

Not quite what I was getting at, but A for effort.

I was referring to the general value of doing so, since at this point I'm pretty sure I've seen each person that has posted in this thread say that they use strategic view. I.E. you'd never even be looking at your giant-mech-of-doom-sized Peewee unit, just the icon representing it. Lots of work for 20 minutes of RP
  14. KNight

You'll have to quote us, because I highly doubt we've all said we ONLY use the fully zoomed out view all the time. I know for a Fact I've never said anything even remotely like that.

Remember, they aren't exclusive to each other, I know when I play FA I spend fair amounts of time both zoomed in and zoomed out. It's all situational.

Mike
    Last edited: September 11, 2012
  15. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

I believe I said it was a peewee-sized mech of doom. With tiny pew pew lasers.
    :D

I think it's going to be awesome, I mean, how often do the designers of units get to go 'Screw the overall faction look, make this one UNIQUE'. 65 times.

I wonder if they would let you do personal voiceovers for the commander.

"Drive me there so I can hit them with my sword!"
  16. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

Oh please don't tell me this thread is gonna suddenly change topics.

Lets just have our party of 70+ different commander and leave it at that, no?
  17. KNight

Hey, I'm not going to stand by while I'm being incorrectly stereotyped. I can't stand that shit.

Mike
  18. drinken

drinken New Member

To the OP, are you a rawdawg? If you don't know what I'm talking about... then you're not. ;)
  19. primewar

primewar Member

Nor did I say "only" either.

Buy I guess I'm supposed to stand by as you misrepresent what i say. Hypocritical at best. 1/10

On the topic, although it would be funny to see, the novelty would wear off quickly and then it just becomes a rather large investment of time.
  20. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

I'm not stereotyping you. I'm just hoping that the people that have been extending those excessively large threads don't read that and decide to spread to here. Basically, I'm finding those words kinda taboo already, regardless of the context.