Single Player Needs to be Offline

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by illumininoid, June 26, 2014.

?

Should Single Player be 100% Offline?

Poll closed July 26, 2014.
  1. Yes

89.2%
  2. No

10.8%
  1. illumininoid

illumininoid New Member

Hey Guys,

As the title suggests, I really do think the single player skirmishes need to be offline. If there is an offline mode for skirmish, then I would much appreciate if someone could tell me how to access that. If not, read on :)

Among other reasons for wanting this, I (and I assume a few other people) have internet that doesn't really agree with online gaming (I have 2-way satellite internet). So because of this, a number of really annoying things happen when playing a single player skirmish. For example:
    • I keep on dropping out of games because my connection to the servers gets lost.
    • Waiting for me to connect to my own game is a bit of a pain to say the least.
    ^Those are the two main issues with a dodgy connection. Other issues include lag, which in turn can cause major graphical performance issues; response time from units tends not to be instantaneous; etc etc.

Another issue I've noticed is that when my internet connection is down (or I simply remove my ethernet cable), I can't play at all, which would be fair if I was trying to play multiplayer, but for a single player match, I think that's a little bit ridiculous.

My main questions to you guys are:
    1. Am I the only one who is experiencing these issues (i.e. is anyone else's internet screwing with them playing the game)?

2. Do people think this should be the case (i.e. should single player skirmishes be truly offline)?

-- IllumiNinoid
    Last edited: June 26, 2014
    coolrecep likes this.
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Of course single player should be offline, however, currently uber requires an online connection for bug reporting and they-don't-want-to-give-you-the-server-side-version-of-the-game-due-to-possibly-getting-their-engine-stolen reasons.
  3. ArchieBuld

ArchieBuld Active Member

There will be an offline single player option when the game releases, so don't worry! :p
    Nicb1, illumininoid and corteks like this.
  4. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

When PA 1.0 comes out they promised us offline single player.

I am however unsure if they will include the option for offline LAN. And dearly hope they will.
    illumininoid likes this.
  5. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

It's fine that the game is online only because I do understand and agree with the reasons for that decision. My complaint is that the steam store only has one small reference to this in one small area listed under "upcoming features". They need to make this a lot more clear because people keep getting tricked by it.
    lokiCML likes this.
  6. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

It should be.

But not until 1.0 release. We'll get there.
  7. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

welcome to the forum

From the first Kickstarter update:
    - https://www.kickstarter.com/project...nihilation-a-next-generation-rts/posts/289765
    - http://store.steampowered.com/app/233250
    corteks likes this.
  8. illumininoid

illumininoid New Member

Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the welcome, lokiCML! :)

Well I sort of agree as long as we get the totally offline mode by the full build.

And it's good to hear that it's in the plans! Because otherwise I may have just spent $25 on a game I can only play at mates' houses and internet cafes haha
  9. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

The other thing promised during the KS campaign is that the offline game will be DRM free. The key thing this means is that *when hosting your own server for a lan party or similar, you only need 1 copy of the game*

This is kinda in the spirit of TA that allowed lan play with 3 players per disc.

You will however need an account per player for internet play. To be honest I think Uber are being pretty good about this, PA will be awesome for LAN parties!
    corteks likes this.
  10. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

Plus if they allow for this type of LAN play, people will be that much more likely to purchase the game once they get home.
    corteks and squishypon3 like this.
  11. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Though it also means if players use hamachi they can play for free.. o.o

(Though admittedly this would be only with friends.)
    illumininoid likes this.
  12. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

redundant poll as this WILL be a thing once 1.0 is released ...
    until then, PATIENCE!
    corteks likes this.
  13. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

It's annoying now, but having Uber use their own trusted servers saves about a billion issues with bug testing. That's a good thing.

Don't worry, players were guaranteed the ability to host their own games in the kickstarter. Just gotta wait for the full release.
  14. illumininoid

illumininoid New Member

@MrTBSC: haha I guess so :p But somebody has said no haha

@cdrkf: That stuff about the DRM and all that is good. It's always a plus with any game haha. The account required for internet play will not bother me in the least because, as you might have guessed from my initial post, I can't really do that at my own house haha. And I do agree that PA would be awesome at LAN parties and the like. The amount of annihilation with mates would be legendary! haha

@elonshadow: I agree. A functioning LAN feature would definitely be a good selling point as well as (more importantly) add more connectivity for players. Plus without the constant connection to a servers, it won't drain your internet, which is definitely always a plus! haha
  15. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

But of course you need to sign in to play online... o.o

Offline play is different obviously, you can play offline... offline. :p
  16. zhaii

zhaii Active Member

I would imagine this also has anti-piracy implications, which is vital to game development these days.
  17. illumininoid

illumininoid New Member

@zhaii:
    I don't think a constant online connection necessarily is, but it can play a part. I personally think it pisses off a relatively significant number of people (myself being one of them). I mean, I've not bought games (sometimes because I simply haven't been able to play them) because of a constant online connection (or playing single player on servers). For example, this is why I never bought Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2.

What I'm trying to say here is that a persistent online connection for single player will be more of a detriment to the game and will, without a doubt, decrease the customer base. So not only would it be better for the players to have an offline mode, but it would also help the developers because the game might be that much more successful (even if it's only by a little bit). So the anti-piracy benefits would be out-weighed by the benefits of not having the constant online connection.
  18. rovetjw

rovetjw Member

this is a known bug that wil get fixed soon it isn't necessary to run it offline only needs to get fixed offline wil come but you coud realy ask yourself is it necessary
  19. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

offline will come with 1.0
  20. illumininoid

illumininoid New Member

Well why would it be unnecessary?