sign if you wish that people who trolled actually got bans

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by salomdi, February 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. salomdi

salomdi Active Member

Title. Kinda sick of it, and i wish that more was done than just locking threads, as they just put new ones up.

Also, mods, please delete any posts in this thread that try to start a fight, or in any way drag this thread off of its intended purpose. If this doesn't happen i will just delete the thread and start a new one.
    Last edited: February 28, 2011
  2. iammclovin117

iammclovin117 Active Member

/Sign
  3. timmy TED

timmy TED New Member

eh... doesn't bother me
  4. Im Hudson

Im Hudson New Member

We are currently discussing some big changes to deal with trolling/the direction people have been taking the forums in the moderator lair. You will see a response soon.
  5. sensitivepsycho

sensitivepsycho New Member

So now is the time to get all our Bro Toplessiquity, *post and panda-related posts out of our systems?

I would sign, but my sense of humour could be interpreted as trolling by the some of the rather dim forum members.
  6. Runie

Runie New Member

Well whenever this comes up the first thing you have to do is clearly DEFINE trolling so that there are no grey areas about it what is in all honesty a rather vague word/act.

Last time I was in a community with a NO TROLLING rule it was extremely subjective and ultimately ended with only certain people being penalized for things others could get away with.

Basically, if the guy in charge don't like you, you're out of luck.
  7. Runie

Runie New Member

Just so we're clear I will support this if it is executed well with clearly defined terms that leave no wiggle room.
  8. salomdi

salomdi Active Member

A troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users.
  9. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I wouldn't recommend it. I'm seriously pissed off about all the flame wars, meme and the like. They are not only annoying for most users, they force Uber devs to spend way more time with managing trolls than answering questions, giving tech support and working on new content.

That is what really annoys me: You want the next DLC to be released as soon as possible? Stop distracting Uber from working on it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet) and
    Trolling is the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet.

However, there usually is no black and white with most troll posts. Offenders will usually get a warning before we even think about a ban unless the content of a post was so far gone that an immediate ban is necessary.

Another thing is to ignore warnings by moderators. When Hudson posts an announcement about post count padding and you keep doing it - oops.

[​IMG]

We have enough work as moderators as it is. If you are trying to antagonize us I will ban immediately without warning.
  10. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

I was on to pull some of my guides from these forums for the clan forums.

I will agree with this post, as well as the comments from other members afterwards.

The forums would be accepted more universally if it was as helpful as it was 4 months ago. There were more passing around of ideas and gameplay, and the discussion wasn't as heated. If it was like that again, I might make it to 2000 posts, which I actually am close sadly but will most likely drop the way I see it (as close as I am, I may never see 2000)

Heat should be moderated strictly, anyone being too strong should be told, anyone not listening to that (or someone that blows up too big right off the bat) should be given a formal warning.

Mainly, people should be warned for posts or threads that don't address something. Off-topic is fine for nice discussions about guitar hero or something, but on-topic subforum posts that say "you are an idiot" or any variation shouldn't be allowed.

In conclusion, too many posts recently contribute only an opinion of a person/group, or a topic that is more and more distant from the origianal. The purpose of every post should be to contribute in some way. Mods should simply let someone know if their post doesn't contribute to the original topic, and nobody even needs to recieve a "Board Warning" once they listen to the mod to stick to the original post. If you do this, trolling would be replaced with helpful posts once again. The forums would return to helpful posts instead of personal opinions of other people and groups.
  11. Runie

Runie New Member

I agree
  12. IlliniJen

IlliniJen New Member

Forget the trolls...I'd just like to see mods have a defined set of rules and apply those rules consistently. Right now I'm SO underwhelmed by Uber's choice in "trusting" community members to be mods. Hire a community/social media manager. You can't find some fresh-faced intern or college grad to work dirt cheap to get experience under their belt in the gaming / social media industry? C'MON.
  13. J Triple Dash

J Triple Dash New Member

I don't get why the mods have to gloat when making a ban or before a topic is locked just do it and move along!!! and its a very bad idea having players/members as mods.
    if a topic goes off topic but is still about mnc hopefully someone will get it back on track without BEING RUDE but if not then just report those posts and its back on track.

but hey common sense is not that common. :roll:
  14. xS m o k 3 z

xS m o k 3 z New Member

Does this include moderators banning them selves or moderators banning other moderators for trolling too? Because I so happened to have been "trolled" on by a moderator before and they didn't get banned, even though I've seen others get banned for trolling.
  15. IlliniJen

IlliniJen New Member

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."
  16. teapot

teapot Post Master General

Well.. I guess I have nothing more to contribute as its already there ^
  17. Ninja Wallace

Ninja Wallace New Member

Basically this.

My best advice is to make me a mod. I'm already the eternal diplomat.
  18. sensitivepsycho

sensitivepsycho New Member

I heartily concur with the preceding statement.
  19. Akutare

Akutare New Member

I like the fact that there are players that are moderators, they are people you can actually talk to about the game and will understand a heated discussion, and not someone that Uber hired to moderate their forums that might not even know much about the game.
  20. IPUR3 EVIL

IPUR3 EVIL New Member

I agree but the way some of the mods go about there business is sometimes a joke. I dont know why but some people get away with murder and others are banned for something as trivial as posting "why". I think uber should have just kept themselves as mods or employed new staff rather than taking on people from the forums.

Sign/
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.