SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by elstubert, June 13, 2013.

1. elstubert

elstubert New Member

I like playing online against people, but sometimes those games go for longer then I have. A campaign gives me something to do in a short amount of time and draws me into the game more.

I would happily tell UBER to SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY for a full campaign. I am sure Many people would be like "wah I paid money for the game and only got the multiplayer part" after it was developed, but seriously screw them. I feel I am getting my monies worth for this piece, I will pay more for a campaign.

Anyone else Agree? (type agree and hit submit if you do)

I paid 150 so far I will pay more for an expansion
  2. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

It won't be too hard to mod custom campaigns. It's a simple thing.
  3. theggman

theggman Member

Uber has said from the beginning there will not be a traditional single player campaign mode. You will, however be able to run skirmish matches with AI. This does not mean the community can't create a campaign on their own ;)
  4. elstubert

elstubert New Member

I think you misunderstand, I know we haven't paid for a Single player campaign. What I am saying is SHOULD UBER be interested in doing another kickstarter or other fund gathering initiative that has as its objective to produce a Single player Campaign, I would be happy to pay MORE money for that. I would back it or any other project to produce that. I put this up to see if Anyone else would also be similarly interested.
  5. Nelec

Nelec Member

No one should think this is if they actually read the kickstarter page and statements from Uber.
  6. elstubert

elstubert New Member

You expect internet people to behave rationally? Ha!

Seriously though is there anyone else out there who would fund UBER to build a single player campaign?
  7. legitlobster

legitlobster Member

Uber have set a release date already, I doubt they would want to create something completely new like a campgain even if they got additional money. If you want to throw money at them, you can buy the game at release. They may very well use the launch money to create a campaign as part of a DLC later.
  8. elstubert

elstubert New Member

I have purchased 7 copies already, I don't need any more. I would purchase an expansion pack. Again is there anyone with an interest in this?
  9. veta

veta Active Member

there just isn't time for this, i'm sure they would like to make one if they had the time and money.
  10. elstubert

elstubert New Member

Obviously right now they are taxed on time with the production of the game. This project has a finite timeline AND finite funding. When this project is done, UBER will need a new project. I am suggesting that they do a project with this in mind.

SO IS THERE ANYONE ELSE WHO WOULD BE POSITIVELY INCLINED TO SUPPORT SUCH A PROJECT AFTER THE COMPLETION OF THIS PROJECT (or simultaneously if there was significant interest and funding)

in this way it could be let know to UBER that there is a paying support base that would be willing to crowd source the undertaking

What is wrong with people. You say hey I am interested in A. All you get is people who say well I am not interested so no one else is obviously.
  11. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

I think the (deliberately?) slightly confrontational thread title and tone of the first post may have got people on the defensive, and they have subsequently not taken the time to properly read what you wrote.

What I got from that was:
    • you have PA
    • you like where it is going so far
    • you know there won't be a single player campaign at release
    • you would happily pay extra for a single player campaign to be developed once PA is released, and Uber have some time on their hands again

Does that pretty much cover it? :)

I suspect that the community may end up covering some (or even all) of the single player shortfall as we progress into beta and release. I know Uber have also talked about the mod marketplace and mentioned the possibility of DLC in that respect, so it is entirely possible that they may well already be thinking about something along those lines as a future project.

Personally, while I did play (and replay) the campaigns for TA, SupCom, FA and SupCom 2, it is the skirmish that I keep coming back to even today. Skirmish against AI is going to be a release feature of PA, and since you should be able to select "tiny planet, one opponent" as part of the startup conditions there should be at least some capability for a shorter (<30 minute) game even without any campaign scenarios.

Some of the larger scenarios in the campaigns for other games could last 2+ hours (that may just be indicative of my lack of skill though), I'm not sure that any PA "single player campaign" scenarios are guaranteed to be any shorter TBH. Since the ChronoCam(tm) replay will also function as a savegame, you can skirmish for as much time as you have, save, and come back to it later when you have more time. You should even (I believe) be able to substitute players when starting from a replay, i.e. play multiplayer, back out when you have to, and come back to it with AI instead of the people if they are not available later. This is all TBC though, we'll know more about the capabliities (and lack thereof) as we move into beta and stuff is actually finished and properly implemented :mrgreen:

All that said, if Uber were to put up another funding drive for extra content once PA is done, I would certainly consider throwing more money at them. I definitely consider my current contribution money well spent ;)
  12. elstubert

elstubert New Member

YES, Thank you. I must not have been clear in what I was saying. My goal is to put it out there that I have, and believe other people have the desire to fund this if UBER is willing to take my money. I figured it was a no brainier, but I must not have been clear. ;)
  13. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

I've always had the impression that galactic war mode would feature some kind of lore/story element as you progressed turning planets into dust.

I'm also looking forward to mod/expansion content and would throw more money at uber, and this time DURING a kickstarter!
  14. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

You never know a modder could create a campaign.
  15. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

This. Either play VS AI ONLY GALACTIC WAR or play some fanfiction story expansion mod that someone makes. Also, with the latter, if you finish it you won't get bored, as you can simply dive into another demension and play in someone else's fanfiction story campaign, and you can endlessly do that forever (just like I do with Anime Abridged Series on youtube).

What they NEED, is a single load for a tutorial, or a very detailed readthrough of tips from start to finish, for new players to get into the game with.
  16. elstubert

elstubert New Member

There is a difference between Fan fiction and a managed project for this. A managed project is going to include things like the following;

- Complete Story arc (Opposing sides so new units factions)
    - Voice Acting
    - Mission objectives and scenarios
    - Tech tree advancement
    - Mini in-game and mid mission movies (intro and finale scenes)

It would be a separate project all on its own. But I am sure they would love to keep doing this kind of thing for profit.

For the kick starter they could start with a modest goal of a single player campaign with 10 missions and some voice acting have stretch goals like;

(The numbers and goals I have listed are just as an example please don't blow up on me)
    - Goal 300K
    - Goal + Every 10k makes adds another mission to the campaign
    - Goal + 200K adds two factions to the campaign
    - Goal + 300K adds a third Campaign
    - Goal + 400K adds videos etc. etc.
    - Goal + 500K adds new world types and top voted add ons.

The add-ons created for the Campaign expansion will also work for the multiplayer so this would add more professional grade content.

Of course to do this we would need to have a significant desire out there, I would probably fund another 200 bucks on this so if there is 2 or 3 thousand other people like me we could probably get something off the ground.
  17. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

No, no, NO NO NO! :evil:

That's so not true it really annoys me. :p

Creating good single player campaings is one of the most time and resource consuming tasks there is with RTS games. You can take the time it takes to develop the game and just double it if you want a quality campaign.

Modders don't just make custom campaigns out of thin air; there are actually only a few custom campaigns with the behemoth of modded rts (StarCraft 1) compared to the thousands of custom maps and game modes. A full campaign just takes so much work to do.

As for the topic, yes, I'd be interested in an expansion (I totally hate the word DLC) that would be focused on a single player campaign. I'd support it through kickstarter. So there you go, allready 100$ out of the million or two they'd need to make something like the campaign in supcom. :mrgreen:
  18. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Eh, idk, if they already include the ability to add pre-game videos or such to loadable scenarios, then anyone could make a campaign. Just takes 10 build scenarios, a little voice and film acting, maybe the minimum of 8 people's work.

Again, tutorial is where it is at.
  19. tugimus

tugimus Member

If they started another fundraiser for a single player campaign "expansion" I would support it. However, I will also be patient enough to wait for the 100+ mod campaigns to come out.

I just hope there is a save game feature when it is not multiplayer (and possibly if it is multiplayer)
  20. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

You do know how expensive voice acting and GCI is?

If not, the answer is: Ridiculously expensive. :mrgreen:

Also, even then, an 8 people team for a mod? Thats allready a large mod team and getting people who are good at voice acting and filming (even just rl films) in your mod team? Good luck with that. :mrgreen: