Should we even bother?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by bengeocth, September 7, 2014.

1. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

It looks like everywhere but here (particularly steam) this game is getting shot down. My question is, should we even go in and argue? It probably wouldn't do much, and, frankly, I'm fine with playing with you guys. But new players are kida necessary from some standpoints, idk.

My argument is that, really, why waste our time? If you guys and the devs keep playing, we have ourselves a pretty awesome game.
  2. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

It would be a shame to see this game end up like SC2 did, I see PA as a engine just waiting for some glorious mods....
    drz1 likes this.
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

4. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

I guess correcting people spreading misinformation is somewhat necessary.
    drz1 likes this.
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I would not even bother to read that. The steam forums has been full of ... things that nobody needs since ages.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  6. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

The diffrence I mainly see is that the people on these forums are informed about what's to come and what Uber is up to and how things work both gameplay wise aswell as technically. Everytime I read a negative review on Steam its full of misundestanding and/or things that are just plain false. Mainly the Always Online seems to popping up much.
    drz1 likes this.
  7. welshenzie

welshenzie Member

There seems to be a group of people out there who seem intent on trying to bash PA for some reason. Not sure why, maybe they see it as a threat to their type of strategy game, maybe they were 'legends' in games such as Starcraft but now can't hack the larger scale. Who knows?

Given how PA has been developed, created and published outside of conventional means its incredible.

Stand fast brothers.
  8. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

How many people do we have who play anyway?
  9. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

As a forum admin myself, I would advocate leaving at least one thread open where people -- newcomers, whoever -- can bash the game all they want. One thread is not going to destroy the forum, and then you can point to that one thread when people say that you are trying to quash criticism.

My two cents.
    optimi and igncom1 like this.
  10. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

It's worth it to correct misinformation. There's a lot of that going around.

I was really hoping Uber would have put forth more effort to set people's expectations for upcoming features and stuff.
    playfun, cmdandy, drz1 and 2 others like this.
  11. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

+1. I would strongly prefer there be a single, easy to ignore, hate filled thread full of conspiracy, paranoid ideation, and flame baiting rather than having it flood into literally every single on-topic thread. Plus, then mods could close/delete things outside of that thread with impunity.
    drz1 likes this.
  12. igncom1

13. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Worth mentioning though: talking to those people to correct misconceptions is annoying, tiring, and sometimes even maddening.
  14. classic1977

classic1977 Member

I'm disappointed, and I'm completely allowed to be. I regret supporting. I've had a horrible experience, especially as a Linux user, and some features I really care about were shafted. I'm allowed to express it, and will continue to.

I ladder StarCraft, and play ranked dota. I wanted to play ladder PA and I'm disappointed it's not included in 1.0. I also bought a server to host local games, and I can't do that either. I was promised these things. Not delivering them with 1.0 disappointed me, you can't tell me that my feelings are invalid.
    Last edited: September 7, 2014
    vyolin, ace63 and igncom1 like this.
  15. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

I've only seen it be shot-down on Steam and Reddit.
    Steam Forums are about as insanely stupid as they get, so I'd just leave them. Reddit can rarely be alright but overall it's not a great community either (also I don't think the PA subreddit is that populated)

Most of the YouTube videos I've seen are full of positive comments with the occasional "I wasted my money" or "I'll wait for reviews".

Overall though I wouldn't recommend trying to change peoples minds for your own sanity's sake. Even if you provide a thousand 110% indisputable facts most people will still treat them as incorrect and stick to their own view.
  16. igncom1

Well you can obviously express it, but continue to?
    icycalm likes this.
  17. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

The best way to respond is to continue having fun. Whoever doesn't have fun is entitled to vent, and then to leave the community and the game. In the meantime we'll keep enjoying ourselves, streaming games and uploading them to YouTube, etc., and things will snowball from there. It's happening.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  18. SXX

SXX Post Master General

People going to complain about anything, just ignore it. If some people prefer to spend their life on something they don't like there is absolutely no reason try to stop them because they already convinced themselves to be negative and nothing you can say to them going to change their mind.

Better spend your time on someone who need help and ask actual questions.

PS: Also Steam forums full of random trolls (some even buy and play games) who hobby is go around different forums before they get their ban. Many such guys have no idea what PA is and possible don't even play RTS at all. :p
  19. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I think I'll write a couple responses for frequently asked misconceptions then copy-paste them into which thread each applies to. :p
    masterevar and drz1 like this.
  20. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

The reason Uber probably doesn't seem that concerned is because they see their sales figures. All we see is a vocal crowd bashing the game so it seems like its universal negativity to us. The people that aren't complaining are playing the game.