Should the game have resource limit?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by qwerty3w, September 20, 2012.

?

Should the game have resource limit?

1. yes

83 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. no

90 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

It makes economy a lot more newbie unfriendly, and I don't think it adds much to the games, people rarely build storage structures in TA or Zero-K, they build them in SupCom but that's mainly for its bonuses to nearby structures.
    Last edited: September 22, 2012
  2. chrishaldor

chrishaldor Member

Re: Should the game have resource storage limit?

There was no limit, or at least a very high one in SC2, and that ended up with having more resources that I knew what to do with most of the time

The income-based economy is somewhat reliant on having a cap, otherwise you might as well sit around hoarding points then build an experimental with them

Mind you, if you build enough storage buildings in SC, you can pretty much do that, especially with commander upgrades, which require a massive amount of energy
  3. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Member

You're doing it wrong.
  4. chrishaldor

chrishaldor Member

I know ^^

I eventually learned to spam factories, I suppose it's the same problem as in SC1, but at least in SC1 you were punished for forgetting to spend your resources, instead of them piling up ><
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Thats a very bad reason to change anything, imho. We dont need to make PA some casual-game.
  6. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Don't change the economy, change the newbie.

Give players two things; 1) a proper tutorial (even if it's community made), and 2) effective information about the state of the economy during the game.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

All of this.

Mike
  8. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

And all of this, too. :p
  9. floretazo

floretazo New Member

Personally, I see a cap as a needless complication.

It punishes players for hoarding their resources. I don't actually think that's a bad thing per se, but I think any player who's not spending their resources efficiently is already destined to be punished severely when the opposing player comes and smashes them with the huge army they've built spending resources as fast as they could.

So I'm opposed because I see it as a redundant mechanic that aims to solve a problem that doesn't actually exist.
  10. thygrrr

thygrrr Member

I think for metal, storage is pretty arbitrary anyway.
    For energy, it's okay.

I wonder if it were not better to NOT have storage *at all* and try a purely flow-based economy.

It would change only little for the pros. In fact, energy storage is pretty useless because it can only bridge a few seconds of minor power outages. (considering TA and FA balance). The only moment where storage really matters is when early game reclaiming happens.

It would change something huge for the newbs (they'd have LESS incentive to stockpile crap), and they'd actually L2P faster.
  11. insanityoo

insanityoo Member

I find energy storage interesting since it has classically been used to fire the big guns. Consider firing a Vulcan with 10,000 energy storage compared to firing it with 1 million energy. Yes, I realize this point is moot once you get enough energy, but that takes a while.
  12. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Storage is also an important factor when sharing resources between allies (doesn't happen until you've reached your storage limit).
  13. insanityoo

insanityoo Member

Not true, there were console commands to set the share limit to whatever you wanted.

+setsharemetalx I believe (where x is the number). Similar command for energy.

I'm kinda proud of myself for remembering that by the way....it's like remembering DOS commands.
  14. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I think Storage would be important when it comes to power building, Because you need the storage to be able to truly max out with build power of a particular project it's like a built in balance mechanic, not only do you need to create and manage teh build power needed, but also make sure you have the storage required.

Mike
  15. lirpakkaa

lirpakkaa New Member

It does add an extra element, for example how many dgun shots can you do in rapid succession at any time?

Also if anything it's newb friendly - they learn to spend their fricken resources instead of just diddling around piling it up with no use.

Oh and a part of the charm of storage buildings, is destroying them!
  16. PKC

PKC New Member

I didn’t get what storage limitation added to the game (in supcom at least). Energy storage for instance was completely useless, except in extremely exotic situations. Mass storage was only useful for increasing mex output. The outcome was you’d always run a small negative mass economy to avoid wastage. There wasn’t a lot of depth or strategy to this.
  17. Alcheon

Alcheon Member

agree, dont limit the game because of innexperience of new player, eventually those "new" players wil be experienced player, but your game will still be limited, basically you will have handicapped yourself permenantly to deal witha temporary problem
  18. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

There is a reason why 4x space games are niche, not because they have bad tutorials or ineffective information, it's just because they are too complex, the most successful games tend to have simpler rules, like soccer, chess etc.

More newbiefriendly without sacrificing much game depth means bigger player base and more money for the patches, expansion packs, and sequels etc.
    How many times you see a player specially destory enemy's storage structures to hinder him to concentrate his build power or use superweapons?

If we need complexity, we could have some better stuffs than the resource caps, like more resource types etc.
  19. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

Resource caps are actually more n00b friendly than uncapped resources. It encourages players to actually spend all their mass, as they'll see resources being wasted, which is an incentive to increase build power. The most common n00b mistake is to never graduate beyond the Command and Conquer mindset of building one of each factory.

No.
  20. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

The most common newbie-mistake in a TA-like game is not to get enough build power in time and keep the metal bar full, which is much worse than accumulate resources, so you incent newbies by making their mistakes worse?
    If there isn't resource caps, at least the newbies might try to get more build power later then use up the resources, not just waste them.
    Last edited: September 21, 2012