Should factories be on continuous build by default?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by metabolical, January 27, 2014.

?

Should factories be on continuous build by default?

1. Yes

50.2%
  2. No

41.1%
  3. Depends on the factory type

8.7%
  1. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

2. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

We had a thread already about this, I think. the suggestion was to have two separate queues for factories. You would probably default to the loop queue unless you press another button, like alt or something. The one-time queue would get precedence over the loop queue so that you could easily get one-off units built quick before getting back to the loop.
  3. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

I dont think it should be, not at the start of the game. Its great the way it is.
    DalekDan likes this.
  4. hahapants

hahapants Active Member

Regardless of the default; since the options for the factories is either a linear que or continuous, could the button be made a toggle between the two, instead of a drop out selection for faster changing?
    Pendaelose likes this.
  5. Tripax

Tripax Member

no, fix the queues instead

so we can for example

queue some fabbers, set continuous build for other units, fabbers come out, then continuous build for the rest
    and the other way round
    orrt (hotbuild) for continuous build, then ctrl-e some fabbers before them without adding them to the continous queue ...
  6. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

ya, metabolical...use the search function. geeze :p /extreme sarcasm

But like shotforce said, its not great at the start of a game where small unit compositions get nit-picked together.
    But for the other 99.9999% of the game= yes.
    So really i would rather it defaulted to continuous.
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Wait, this is a new thread? It's the exact same name as the other guys.

Anyway, well... it should be a very accessible option. On buildbar? By default might be counter-intuitive. Then again, there is a mod that automatically makes a factory produce units when the economy is overly-positive. That should be a feature outright lol.

Then again, that feature is better incorporated with allowance of an AI to control single items you "give" to it. Then again, that is getting pretty feature intensive. Anyway, I will have to grudgingly say no.

EDIT: like the guy above said, I would not mind shift-click being 1-continuous, that way you hold and click some thing and it repeats the order you clicked, and when it gets to the end it starts over. Keep the allowance of control click, that allows you to borrow a factory for a unit or two if necesary without erasing queue. IF THIS WERE IMPLEMENTED, I would shift click ant-ant-spinner and let that produce forever, then when I am ready for levelers I would ctrl-click a fabber.
  8. jodarklighter

jodarklighter Active Member

I voted no. Early game, and with the first factory of each type, I typically want a specific number and set of units. After that, I usually go with the loop queues. Unfortunately the game has no way to predict what I want, so I think that continuous off is the safer default choice.
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Not by default, especially not given the greater potential for Flux in the early game. I do think that toggling it should be very easy, but like it was with SupCom.

Mike
  10. hahapants

hahapants Active Member

early game you have more time to be fumbling around with ques though. In late game I just want to throw down many factories and click one unit type to start the mass production.
  11. jodarklighter

You can do that already, I think. If you queue a set of units, and then flip continuous build on, and then queue more units, only the units in the queue after you toggled it will be continuous built.
    keterei likes this.
  12. abubaba

abubaba Well-Known Member

Early in the game you have more time to micro the factories.. later on when you are building factories to spam bots like brad, i mean mad, it gets frustrating.. so YES.
    keterei and philoscience like this.
  13. BallsonFire

BallsonFire Active Member

No but it would be nice to get something like a switch in the user interface to select auto build on all factory's or copy the queue from another factory so they all have the same queue.

Another cool option would be to select for example all bot factory's and make a queue and factory's start spreading the production of units over the selected factory's
    Pendaelose likes this.
  14. Tripax

Tripax Member

yes first is possible, second not, thereby, fix the queues (-:
  15. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Simples. Make on by default as an option in the settings menu.
  16. jodarklighter

What I would really like to see is the ability to give a factory an assist command for another factory. So once I have one factory set with the queue and rally points/patrol that I like, I can give a right click assist command to my other factories of the same type to copy its queue, move orders, and continuous setting. But I want to emphasize that it would copy everything, so if the factory with the original orders is destroyed, it won't cause my other factories to idle.
    Slamz likes this.
  17. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

As long as it's a toggle button for continuation build and not a silly pull out menu.

I ain't got no beef.
    hahapants likes this.
  18. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I think you can actually just click on it without using the pull out menu to toggle.
    jodarklighter likes this.
  19. jodarklighter

I would like more control over the queues, so I can make adjustments other than at the front or back without having to wipe everything. I'm hoping that will come with a future UI overhaul though, as I don't feel like the current placeholder setup would support more robust queues.
  20. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Yes would be nice, HOWEVER currently you can set factory assist to make engineers or combat engineers assist a factory or unit which is incredibly useful and I would not want to lose this at all. I would prefer some special template that builds factories with a preset build queue.