Should defence towers increase in range as they do in strength?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by darkalbino, March 30, 2014.

1. darkalbino

darkalbino New Member

Currently all turrets have the same range. I propose that each level of turret has an increasingly larger range and power. One thing you may recall from Total Annihilation is the L.L.T (light laser turret - Tier 1, able to be build by the commander) being able to shoot just within its line of sight, the Sentinel (Tier 2 Laser, able to be build by the any Tier 1 construction unit) being able to shoot beyond its line of sight (if you had a radar or another unit to provide line of sight) and finally the Annihilator (arm), which, provided a different role from say the doomsday machine (Core) which had a menacing range and inbuilt radar.

Currently, the meta makes almost useless the Tier3 towers. Tier 1 towers have use against small raiding parties, tier 2 towers have use against tier one full frontal attacks, tier 3.. get outranged by artillery and GIL-E. I support the use of artillery but feel like there should be another defensive option if im going to invest 1800 metal into something - i want it to do more than die like its 150 metal option would have done the same.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Advanced Laser Defense Towers are far from useless. They're your best defense against Vanguards.

I'm not sure how I feel about the increasing ranges. We already have some big problems with defenses being OP and breaking the game. Obviously this is a balance issue.

I kinda like the idea... but current issues need to be dealt with.

I'd say the Advanced Laser Defense Tower at least should get a range buff.
    FSN1977 likes this.
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I still don't understand why we have 3 of the same type of tower honestly. Compared to the Basic->Advanced Structure of the rest of the game the current turrets don't even with within that!

Mike
    vyolin likes this.
  4. brianpurkiss

I'd love it if the laser defense towers had a slight chain gun animation. That would allow the Advanced Laser Defense Tower to not have as much overkill meaning they'll be valid against units other than Vanguards. So they'll be able to chew through large armies and will be a MASSIVE threat, and obviously they'd have to be really expensive – but I like that. That'd make the Advanced Laser Defense Towers a very formidable threat – something much more powerful than several of the basic laser defense towers in the same spot.

Essentially, when you're scouting and see one of the Advanced Laser Defense Towers it'd be a big "OH ****!!!" moment and something that you need to be tactful about rather than just throw a large army against it.
  5. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

No no no. The turrets are too strong. Adding range will encourage more bunkering and nuke play.
  6. brianpurkiss

Not if it's balanced properly.
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

you could spin this off as a nerf, reducing cheaper turrets range. Big nerf too, then they won't so easily kill so many.

I dislike this idea altogether, just because then walls become mandatory. Which, really, they need adjust while turrets only slightly.
  8. brianpurkiss

I never said reduce the cheaper turret's range. The basic defense tower ranges are good as is. I'm just saying the Advanced Laser Defense Tower's range should be increased.
    ironnomad likes this.