Shield generators

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by gaynessteel, April 22, 2013.

?

Should shields be in the game?

1. Yes like in supcom or supcom:FA

67 vote(s)
    32.7%
  2. Can be toggled before a game starts

63 vote(s)
    30.7%
  3. No

75 vote(s)
    36.6%
  1. gaynessteel

gaynessteel New Member

I know the devs had stated that shields won't be in the game but I want to know whether the community would like to see

This should probably be hosted during the Alpha but you can change your vote if you want.

If you don't care, don't vote please.
    Last edited: April 24, 2013
  2. SwiftBlizz

SwiftBlizz Member

How about "Wait and see what Uber's take is, whenever they feel the time is right for such." ?
  3. gaynessteel

gaynessteel New Member

The whole point of this poll is to see what the community thinks.
  4. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

The Community is not qualified as a gestalt entity to make gameplay altering decisions of this magnitude.
  5. gaynessteel

gaynessteel New Member

We're not changing anything. Uber still gets the final say. This is an opinion poll. It's not anything that will make a change unless Uber wants it.
  6. nanolathe

I hope to Science that Uber doesn't allow this to get as blown out of proportion as the Mega-Bot thread. :?

Design by committee is poison to a game like this.
  7. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Nope, not having them makes battles more intense and dynamic. Having the ability to build 5 power generators and stack 20 shields over your base is not very fun to play against or to watch.

Game should be quick with a lot of destruction going on both sides and game changing decisions every second. Then gloriousness happens and everyone chants the names of Uber devs while marching into the sunset.
  8. gaynessteel

gaynessteel New Member

Having them takes away a lot of the micro needed for game play by not having to repeatedly check your bases and order engineers to fix damage by one unit attacks. Anyway, you can just nuke a turtle with an asteroid.
  9. SleepWarz

SleepWarz Active Member

Dont fix the damage, fix the enemy causing the damage, with units of your own.
  10. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

Quick games are indicative of one sided games, I hate one sided games, I like to be able to take a beating and still have a chance to come back, if I wanted one sided games I'd play Starcraft where if you lose badly in a single battle then you might as well quit because there's no way to come back from behind (unless the other player is several leagues worse than you). The reason I liked TA and SupCom is that it was rare for a single battle to determine your fate, if you were smart you could turtle up a bit and make a come back, it made the games go much longer (30-60min for SupCom vs 15-25min for Starcraft) but it also made them a lot more interesting because it wasn't as clear who would win untill the last few min.

As far as shields go I'm a big fan, they give you extra protection against surprises but are weak enough that a strong strike can still get through, however for PA I'm not really bothered whether or not it has them, not having them can be balanced out by reducing damage and increasing HP, it's not quite the same but it will still be perfectly playable so as with most things I'm happy to just go along with whatever Uber decide on the subject.
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

No shields, other wise only umbrella shields.
  12. Nayzablade

Nayzablade Active Member

Meh...prefer strong walls over shields anyday.
  13. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Shields are a flat damage reducer in the long term. Flat damage reduction gets absurdly good as it approaches and exceeds incoming damage.

Universal damage blocking isn't really needed for most of the game. Damage mitigation can be typically be handled by an appropriate anti-X device and good repair patrols. Both options provide much tighter controls on what types of damage they block, and how much they can handle. For everything else, the best damage prevention is to shoot it until it dies.
  14. aznwarreur

aznwarreur Member

Uber did say that they wanted the community involved in "making" the game. So this post is valid.
  15. SleepWarz

SleepWarz Active Member

I would agree. Loved the fortification walls and dragons teeth in TA.
  16. gaynessteel

gaynessteel New Member

New options added. Poll was reset.
  17. cornflakes91

cornflakes91 New Member

i personally liked the supcom/fa shields, they allowed for strong fortifications that dont get damaged by an stray artillery shell and made fun for the attacker of such fortifications (me) to find the weak point in the shield coverage. it makes also much fun to find the weak point to blast some tacnukes with my bombers into that weak spot :)
  18. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

though I feel like Shields were a major part in SupCom FA, I think PA would be better off without.

What I think could balance this and make defensive structures still useful is high hitpoints for those and great range. But still you cannot protect everything, it will take damage and fragile structures can still be taken out!
  19. rabbit9000

rabbit9000 Member

NO NO NO.

Shields are horrible turtle-enabling things.

Nobody likes a turtle-enabler.

Prone to miss use too, like building lines of them in SupCom 2 so your units get nearer to their bases with arty.

Damn that's a bad game. I've no idea why I play it still.
  20. nanolathe

Because you can turn them off?
    That's what I do.