Shellers should (slightly) outrange pelters

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by philoscience, September 14, 2015.

1. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

This is an issue that really comes up on choke-pointy maps like Lava platforms. As far as I can tell shellers currently have either the same or slightly less range as pelters. It may be related to the move bug as it is possible they are getting closer than they need to fire. But if not, I think this is a really bad design choice. Shellers are a much more expensive T2 artillery - they should counter T1 artillery! Not by a massive amount but 5-6 shellers should be able to take out 3-4 pelters no problem, which is currently not the case. As soon as the shellers get in range they are toast and they can't hit the enemy pelters otherwise. I can't see any reason for this.
    Last edited: September 15, 2015
  2. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

3. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

I disagree, I think Pelter's should have slightly longer range. If you can afford T2 then you can (probably?) afford some Vanguards to go in front and tank some Pelter shots?

*shrug* not a big deal seems okay as it is.
  4. Quitch

Build a couple of walls first.
  5. philoscience

Walls don't block artillery? And will a Vanguard? Wouldn't the pelters just shoot over the vanguard? Excluding the enemy player focusing down the shellers, now I need 2-3 vanguards and several shellers just to counter 2-3 pelters? That's a massive metal cost imbalance, it doesn't make any sense.
  6. Quitch

They're not to block the shots, they're to hide where the return fire is coming from and to make the auto-targeting shoot the walls by placing them closer than the Shellers.
  7. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure 1 vanguard can take a few pelters by himself. This is not a balance problem. Shellers are not the counter to pelters, that's not their role.
    The only "problem" here is that you have not played the game enough to know how to take down pelters. End of story.
    stuart98 likes this.
  8. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Shellers used to have a longer range than pelters. It made pelters basically worthless, among other things.

*paperweight* and *wasted metal* are two other good ways to describe those pelters.
    stuart98 likes this.
  9. Quitch

Pelters used to have a longer range than Shellers. Shellers have never outranged Pelters that I could find on PADB.
  10. mered4

I just looked again. Pelters were only more expensive, no greater range.

Why did I think there was a range difference....I must find out this secret....
  11. huangth

huangth Active Member

I have no problem to take down the Pelter using T2 units,
    and I don't think we really need a hard counter to deal the Pelter.
    Just a group of T2 tanks can level the defense easily, I don't even need to build the Vanguard.
    All you need to do is to expand the eco and overrun your opponent by units.

In the middle and late game, ground defense can't withstand the tide of T2 land units too long.
    And the players should build more units as the mobile defense.

In my opinion, Pelter can be ignored when you get a lot of T2 tanks,
    but the Catapult should be considered.
    The Catapult can take down T2 unit quite fast, but its RoF is low.
    Mixing the T2 units with dox can make the Catapult less effective.
  12. philoscience

Wow, way to be a rude jackass. I've played since alpha and am in RLM, with hundreds of hours in game. This problem may be specific to particular kinds of maps as I alluded to in my post, i.e. choke-point heavy maps. I fully understand that in the average game static defenses are greatly weaker than mobile forces. My point is that 1:1 the balance of pelters to shellers makes no sense at all. You shouldn't be able to effectively pen an opponent in his base with pelters only if he has T2 up, which is very easy to do on magma platforms.

I think people are being a little close minded. Why should a cheap t1 artillery unit be superior to an expensive t2 artillery unit? It's like having infernos > vanguards. I'm saying that a very minor range increment to shellers would fix this. Right now they take almost twice as long as a pelter to get in range and fire which makes zero sense. Can anyone give an actual example of how this minor change would hurt balance are all you all just going to **** on my thread?
  13. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

sorry for being rude. Pelters are not superior to shellers. Shellers do more damage and are mobile, those things are much more important than hp for an artillery unit.
    That movement ability it's the big difference, you can't just ignore it. If I compare an inferno with a sheller and "forget" about range, infernos are far better than shellers. Why do you forget about movement when comparing a sheller to a pelter?
    philoscience and huangth like this.
  14. Phireh

Phireh Member

Actually shellers do counter pelters quite heavily. Pelters are both unable to move and bigger targets while having the same range. You can shoot at the pelters from max range and move a little back to evade their shots while the pelters will take the shots 100% of the time. You have to be careful with them though because they are very squishy and will die if you don't guard / micro them.
    mered4 likes this.
  15. mered4

Maybe you should be more Realmy and get a signature you heathen! :D
  16. philoscience

I should! Sorry for being grumpy, was having a bad data day.
  17. mered4

I need not remind you that WrongCat believes I am among the salt princes of the Realm.

In other words, its ok cuz I'm like that all the stinkin' time. :D