Server side questions

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by theggman, June 14, 2013.

1. theggman

theggman Member

From what I understand, eventually we'll be able to host our own pa "servers". Will they always be tied into logging into Ubernet somehow or is this a temporary thing while we're in alpha and beta? If they're not going to be, I'm a bit concerned about potential piracy issues. Just wondering the general thoughts toward this issue.

Second question (a bit more modding related) how much control does the server have over units? I've noticed the unit information is all stored in json files, client side at the moment. Are there plans to have the server control these values?

Yes, I know its likely a bit early to be asking these types of questions.. But it never hurts to start hunting for information ;)
  2. nid0

nid0 New Member

Online access is required through UberNet purely for the Alpha (and possibly the Beta), at some point between now and release the server code will be made available so that people can host their own servers, and presumably built into the client for "offline" locally hosted servers.

Modding: Unit info is in json files, but attributes that affect the actual functioning of a unit or building are also hard-coded server-side. Eg, a unit's cost is listed in the json file but if you change this your client will show the lower cost, but it'll still actually cost the same to build. Same with, for example, altering weapon damage, scouting range, etc.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's only for alpha and beta. Uber will release server executable when game will be completed.

Server have full control of units even now. There is still possible exploits, but they will be fixed.

These files is only for client, if you change them it won't change anything server-side.

Probably when game will be done there will be some mod support, e.g client will download mods required to play on specific modded server.
  4. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

While we are on the topic of the server:

Will you be able to mod the AI?
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Yes, when server will be publicly released. AI is on server side.