Scam/Piracy Sites Popping Up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, April 4, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

I suppose we should be honored that scam/piracy videos and sites are already popping up, but.. no, not really.

If you notice a site that seems suspect, or a video claiming to give away keys for the game, or give away a free kitten with purchase, etc, please email us with a link or information at info at uberent dot com . We've already issued one take down notice for a clearly fraudulent/scam video on YouTube, but as we move to Alpha and on to beta and release, it'll only get worse.

Oh internets, you are so much fun! :mrgreen:
    shootall likes this.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

people are trying to rip of people by sellings false PA-keys? really? wtf, is the audience of PA expected to be that big? xD
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Maybe not, but the hold point I imagine is that regardless setting these sites up is easy/cheap compared to the income gained from stealing, so even if they only makes 20 "sales" they still come out ahead you know?

Mike
  4. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

If you can make one scam site, you can make a million.

Fortunately law makers have much more dire concerns to worry about, such as allowing employers to demand your facebook password.
  5. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

:shock:
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Well it was going to happen eventually, why so surprised?

Mike
  7. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

That's not confirmation that it's soon by the way. It's just Garat saying that when Alpha hits, there'll be more phishing... and then even more when Beta hits.
  8. killien

killien Active Member

You sound like you're writing PA off as a failure before it even really starts
  9. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Wouldn't it be awesome if PA, in time, eclipses all other prominent RTS games and gets a huge following and eSport presence?

I'd love to see that day.
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That's not what I wanted to say. I am crazy about PA, spend half a month's income on it and can't wait to play it. But I would aim at stuff that attracts as many people as possible and PA is not exactly the first thing that comes to mind in that regard.
  11. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

Lets focus on making the game good first...
  12. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I can't speak to the audience size but we are at 50k forum posts before the game is even in Alpha. I continue to be surprised at how our visibility as a company has increased from this project. GDC was pretty interesting as I've been going there for many years but was recognized way more than usual.

Anyway, if people see scams let us know. We will hit them with as big a hammer as we can find.
    shootall likes this.
  13. antillie

antillie Member

Wherever there is success the asshats are not far behind. Consider it a sign that you're starting to enter the big leagues.
  14. garat

Since a few people asked me for clarification, what we're looking for are people who claim to be official or officially partnered with us when they're not, especially when it's coupled with something that's obviously a scam. Either one will make us smash it like the fist of an angry god, but the two combined is just so frustrating to see. Hopefully most people would realize it's a scam, but since YouTube and other sites don't seem to care how cavalier people are about tossing around the term "official", we have to be very active fighting this stuff.
  15. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

Ah wonderful news, the dickweeds consider you big now!
  16. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

I see now, just went looking and found the one in question, then gave it a big dislike!

Perhaps we could tackle it that way if YouTube don't remove it?
  17. syox

syox Member

Well post the link so we can dislike it and alert youtube. You can do it in backers lounge also so no outsider sees it.
  18. garat

Well, that's one down.

Attached Files:

19. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

20. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

...Is what I remember feeling.