SAVING a single player game?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cinesra, September 2, 2014.

1. cinesra

cinesra New Member

Hey everyone,

Apparently this subject wasn't covered in any previous thread:

Any chance there would be a way to SAVE a SINGLE PLAYER BATTLE (not galactic war, just a quick battle in a system choosen by the player)??

Maybe a missed a button, but currently I cannot find a way to do this.

Cheers
  2. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

You're right, they haven't done this. This is because the game is played not on your computer, but on their server. A client single player will be implemented eventually.
    melhem19 and cinesra like this.
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

No.

This is a feature that is being worked on and will be tied into the chrono-cam feature. Basically you'll be able to pick up from any spot in any replay.
    drz1, melhem19, temeter and 2 others like this.
  4. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

That is a really damn kool feature actually. Still would like the ability to save though because you might need end a game and want to pick it up again later due to lack of time or something.
  5. stuart98

If you exit the game then the replay will end there from my understanding.
  6. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Nice! I already wanted to make a thread about resume by reply from the chrono-cam. Guess I underestimate the devs.
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Yes, you underestimate them, unfortunately that lofty idea also leaves them with a heavy workload dedicated to the task. A simpler save feature is half the work, but too much work to do temporary. This more complex save feature, will take quite the work to accomplish making chronocam have enough data to load a game from.

Either way, I support the chronocam way. The Coherent UI and Chronocam are proving to be challenges, but they are also heavy rewards in their utility, the UI modding allowed via Coherent, the multiple fun games that can be generated off a replay of a game, all with difficulties unfortunately.

I hope one day we can get replay loads. Heck, I hope one day, we can choose to rewind the chronocam and offer the enemy to reload from it in-game, and the sim just picks up from that position. That way, people could play like a casual chess game and take back certain moves.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  8. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

So instead of loading a saved game, you just load the ChronoCam instead, and just play from the end?
  9. stuart98

Correct.
  10. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Well, I believe the plan was to be playable from any point in that chronocam lol. So basically, every single sim frame is an autosave, inheirently.
  11. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

I'd absolutely love this feature.
  12. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Being able to save any game would be great. Some dev input on this subject would be awesome, to see if its still feasible obviously for after "1.0".
  13. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I have a vague recollection that one of the devs said it wouldn't be quite this simple, but I can't remember who or when it was said :( It certainly would be EPIC to be able to rewrite history like that...
    bradaz85 likes this.
  14. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

I too remember something like that, even had a search to see if I could find it but no luck.
    drz1 likes this.
  15. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Well they've mentioned that that is their goal for it.
  16. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

What I want is single player offline client, so I can play without internet.
  17. chargrove

chargrove Uber Alumni

Right now we have partially-implemented support internally for loading the sim from a replay starting at a given time point. I say "partially-implemented" because currently it's server-command-line-only, relies on having a local server and local replay file, and really just takes whatever units were present in the history at that point in time and spawns them at the given location. They're not the same units, they're new units that have the same basic characteristics as the ones from the replay; from that point forward they have their own destiny.

To clarify, it's not a real "load" of the server state; the replay files only have what's required for Chronocam to work, and that doesn't include things like AI brain information, currently queued order state, or anything like that. So when we load, we're really starting entirely new AI brains and order-queue-less units, which the AI brain has to assess from the ground up in order to figure out what to do anew. It'd be like two people playing chess, where one player gets up in the middle of the game and is replaced by someone else who wasn't even watching the match up until this point; the new player has to stare at the board for a while and figure out what's going on, with no idea of the strategy the previous player was working through.

It's a perfectly fine feature for debugging a lot of sim/nav issues, which is mostly what we use it for right now. But bringing the save/load feature up into user-facing capability is going to take a lot more work, and we haven't even had time to talk about where we want to take it yet. Remember we're a small company, we'd like to have this stuff in your hands too but it has to be balanced against everything else we're trying to do with the limited resources we have.
    cdrkf, drz1, pizwitch and 5 others like this.
  18. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

omg!
    you guys can do it! I believe in you. If you need more hands on the job you guys should hire no?
  19. chargrove

chargrove Uber Alumni

Hiring costs money. Get more people to buy the game! Then we may be able to afford to hire more engineers. :)
    cdrkf, Remy561 and squishypon3 like this.
  20. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I'll do it for free. ;)