Rock Paper Shotgun Continues Trend of Poor Journalism

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by SirChristoffee, June 14, 2013.

1. SirChristoffee

SirChristoffee Member

Last edited: June 14, 2013
  2. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Re: Rock Paper Shotgun Gone Full Retard

Well, its RPS. The puns in their article titles are usually better then some of their articles. :p

But yeah, they sometimes have not very well informed articles up there. But hey, its game "journalism", what did you expect? :mrgreen:

Edit: Nevertheless, I'm not really happy with the title you choose here. Calling something retard isn't really conductive to a good forum atmosphere and until now, we mostly had a very tranquil place here. Just a suggestion to change it.

Calling it, RPS has gone lazy would be more appropriate, since they omit the whole backstory of why this price was chosen and how much the game costs on release. You know, doing investigations, asking questions, etc. instead of just a regurgiation of what others have said; journalism in short. ;)
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

A lot of the comments must be people from this forum - it's largely balanced and well rounded contributions there.
  4. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

I am pleased that the forumites are going in their droves to these articles and setting the record(s) straight.

Truly, it is good to be among peers. Been too long since I've been in a relatively private, but very active, forum :D
  5. lynx88

lynx88 New Member

Are you serious, smallcpu and the OP? Did you even read the article? Did any of you read it, past the title?

They stated very clearly in their article that the unusually high price for early access is to match the Kickstarter.

They did, in fact explain why the price was chosen.

Read next time instead of just looking at a headline and basing your ranting off that.
  6. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

As I've said, they're basically just saying what anybody else has written.

"This is the price and its because of kickstarter." That's just repeating uber's statement.

There is not a single ounce of work behind that article. They don't do anymore explanation, they just repeat what John Mavor has said. There is no commentary on it from them (besides the pun in the title), there is no explanation of the other prices for the game. There is no explanation why only this is available on steam.

Any automatic news aggregator can do the same.

And that's why I'm ranting off. Because what they did was lazy and it lead inevitably to confusion (as seen in the comments about it) because they didn't do any work on explaining it. Something I expect from a journalist. (No, I don't want them excusing it, but giving a bit more info then just repeating what uber has said isn't asking too much, is it?)
  7. Excelle

Excelle New Member

Why, thanks! ;)
  8. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

But uber doesn't need more alpha testers. They already have every single kickstarter backer to draw from. It would have better to keep the alpha "closed" at this point. Builds more hype than letting anyone buy in.
  9. SirChristoffee

SirChristoffee Member

Though I wouldn't call a one liner a rant as I did in my OP, I do admit I did only skim read it. Still, the sentiment the article carries is little different from the dribble a minority of steam is producing.

An article that did some research and actually explained the pricing situation and dismissed the entitled/blind cries of said minority would be a better item to be on the PA early access news, though that's not going to garner as much attention I suppose.
  10. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

RPS has always been lazy sensationalism. They have barely any original content and most of their articles are sloppy rewrites of other sites.
  11. SirChristoffee

SirChristoffee Member

True, title should have been "Rock Paper Shotgun remains continues to be terrible, unsurprisingly".
  12. SirChristoffee

SirChristoffee Member

Your happiness is very important to me, I shall change it <3