reward suggestion - named planets + extra resources on them

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by superbinky, July 3, 2013.

1. superbinky

superbinky New Member

I'm at a lower reward tier for the game, but as a kickstarter user, I want to use PA to make my brand popular:)

I'm asking for a named planet bearing my brand name (buying into cosmic tier) , but also that it have a few extra resources and thus becomes a planet worth searching for.

My planet name would be "futuresweet.net" and / or "@future_sweet". I don't have my kickstarter campaign launched, but I will sometime in the fall.

I swapped a few emails with Marc Scattergood on this topic and he said "probably not," on the extra resources, but "it's worth discussing if you like, and should do it on the forums." relevant quotes:

(his response)

In my exchange with Marc, I did not reveal that this would be a brand-name.

To be clear, this shouldn't be a planet that a player has in his initial possession; player should just know "it's out there" and at a certain c/b ratio, worth seeking out. It's to be a small-to-moderate advantage - worth seeking, but nothing big enough to break the game.

What do do you think? Would you put up with this, or would it sour your game experience?

Thanks,

Chris

eta:

ok, I accept the feedback.

query withdrawn.
    Last edited: July 4, 2013
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Re: reward suggestion - named planets + extra resources on t

In-game advertising? No thanks.
  3. thekiller666

thekiller666 Active Member

I don't think product placement and advertising rights belong in a Kickstarted game.
  4. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

+1

Not classy. At all. This could only be worse if you offered more money to imbalance the game to bring attention to your brand.
  5. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

I couldn't say that better plus it doesn't fit in what I think of the game's lore.
    I wouldn't want to fight for control over planets coke & pepsi.
  6. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

The best thing about Kickstarter (assuming the project is successful), is that it allows game developers to produce the content that they and their backers want to see. It means there is no need to compromise design decisions with what clueless publishers think the current market will buy, nor insert immersion breaking or otherwise jarring product placement in order to increase sponsorship. Most backers are aware of this, and like this status quo.

I understand you wish to advertise your brand, but inserting it into a title that people backed partially because it would be free from this kind of influence is not the way to go about it. You will be alienating the people you are advertising it at. What's more, trying to compromise game balance in order to promote your brand, no matter how minor a change, is really not the way to interest people. We backed this game to see it developed, and then play it. Not get advertised at and make decisions over how much we want to be advertised at if we want to find special planets.

It's fair enough that you wish to advertise your brand, but I suggest you find a different outlet for it.
  7. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Ads were stylish in BFBC1, but that was a triple-A publisher-designed FPS where people actually had the spare time to notice ads. It wouldn't even be worth the money in an FPS.
  8. comham

comham Active Member

Maybe a little black monolith with a tiny .jpg of your face on it.
  9. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

I'd be ok with an easter egg like that on a planet.
  10. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I also find the method used by the OP to be hilariously bad when you think about.

You've got 1-2 names inserted into the name pool, out of thousands upon thousands of not only Backer Names but also the names that Uber will have as well.

The return on the cost for being able to input into that pool is atrocious and trying to pursue it is just foolish.

Mike
  11. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

I could cope with it being an easter egg where as suggested there's a monolith with his face on it and the one nearest metal patch to it gives from a singular t1 mex it gives t2 mex benefits because then it's a point to focus a battle on. Although if it's t2 it does nothing extra.
    But that's my compromise point.
    Also the naming of planets was a perk but asking for extra resources in my mind it should be we generated this planet. Do you want to call it xyz.....if not we'll ask the next in the list if they want to name it and the next planet in the line you get to name then repeat
  12. selfavenger

selfavenger Active Member

I appreciate the OP bringing it to the forum for discussion but I suspect if Marc knew that this was in game advertising it would have been shut down there and then.

I also couldn't agree more that in game marketing is not cool from an ethical standpoint. I don't think I need to go through all of the reasons as others have and will. But that's pretty much why I stopped playing Sim City. The whole addition of in game marketing after the game went live really irked me to my core as a gamer.

I'm having flash backs now........ :shock:

Cheers,

-Todd
  13. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Even if he had put it down as the planet name in the form, it's up to Uber to accept it, it's not automatic. I very much doubt they would accept any email addresses/twitter hastags or URLs.
  14. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Yeah now that you mention it that could be a liability for Uber as well. Imagine if an innocent looking link went to malware and such?

Mike
  15. selfavenger

selfavenger Active Member

Yeah the implications run long and deep I'm afraid.

-Todd
  16. superbinky

superbinky New Member

ok, I accept the feedback.

query withdrawn.
  17. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

IMO, I think the kickstarter planet name should include a custom map schematic. For example, "backer01" is always a water world and stuff like that.