[REQUEST] Command Labels - UI Improvement for shared armies

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stawos, February 2, 2015.

1. stawos

stawos Member

User Commander & Command labels. It has become more and more frustrating playing shared army games with random players who continually steal units. I love shared armies because of the dynamic game play. Also the advantages of sharing armies on multiple starting planet systems vs allied teams on separate planets is monumental. So for anyone who's response to my request is, "just play unshared" that is why.

So my quest is as follows: Add command labels to units/structures. Commander labels are essential, and adding player labels with time elapsed since last command will allow accountability in team games to see who's idle and who's trolling. The labels could be toggled along with the build previews.

Please consider this, it needs to be done.
    Sleeser, Nicb1, slocke and 1 other person like this.
  2. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

I suggest that in team games, each player gets to choose their own secondary colour, and all units made by that player have his/her secondary colour.

It would help casters, make it easier for players to divide work, and it would also look damn cool seeing which player contributed most to a group of e.g. tanks.
    Nicb1, christer1966 and cdrkf like this.
  3. sleepykid12

sleepykid12 New Member

The problem with that is who makes what units.
    Is it based upon what your commander builds? What about if multiple commanders assist to build something? What about if someone steals someone else's fabbers to build more factories? What about when you start using other people's units?
    I do agree that there should be some way to know who is trying to control what and who built what and that it would be cool to have multiple secondary colours, I just don't think it would fully solve the problem or be very practical.
  4. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

It's inherited from whatever started the construction.

If player A uses player B's fabbers to build something then they will be built in player B's colour, because inherited colour.

The other thing I think would be very helpful as an addition to this would be if any units selected by team mates had the selection icon around them, in that player's colour.
  5. kaminfreunde

kaminfreunde Active Member

"Stealing" units in a team game doesn't make much sense to me. I know that there are players that mess around at times, because they are less experienced, but letting a own base be steamrolled just because of not allowing somebody of the team to use the "own units" is not much better either.

The higher the level of play gets, the more shared tasks are done. Someone is going for eco, others do the micro etc. So I don't see how unit colors could help here. On the other hand, I'd like to see a highlight for units which are currently selected by other players, so you don't waste your attention on things which are already used by others at the moment.
    Quitch likes this.
  6. stawos

stawos Member

What I'm suggesting is a way to have accountability if someone re-purposes units that are doing something useful to something totally unneeded and detrimental to team success.
    Also having labels with last command timer will hopefully reduce the instances of people mistakenly taking control of units in the firs place.
    Last edited: February 3, 2015
  7. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

It's been a while, so I could be out of date but... I'd settle for a button to only pick my commander and not every commander on the same team...

Other than that, I'm liking this idea lots for more ui stuffs.
    christer1966 likes this.
  8. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

You mean like <Alt>+C? :)
  9. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

Yeah thats might bees it. Obviously not totally up to date.. Not all my fault, being in Australia means the minority of people who play it can be counted on 3-4 hands, and the few games on at any time are exclusive to the friends playing it with passwords.

But I'm optimistic, or just stubbornly staying with the game...
    christer1966 likes this.
  10. stawos

stawos Member

77792-PTE has some nice UI improvements like showing idle fabbers/factories hope we can get some more UI love with command labels :)
    eukanuba likes this.