[Request] Beginner's Guide to Modding

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by sllypper, July 11, 2016.

1. sllypper

sllypper New Member

Hello. I love this game and I love everything about Legion.

I've been thinking about trying to make a mod myself but only found outdated resources that pointed out the PAMM format instead. So I have no idea how to start or even how to find the Legion Mod files for me to study and to work it by trial and error.

I found the "Creating a new unit from scratch" tutorial and found it very helpful, but I have no idea what to do before and after that.

I figured out where the base game file are (/media/pa_ex1/). Do I edit them? Do I copy them somewhere else and "Mod Manager" my modified versions in?

Can somebody help me? Thanks :)

Edit: I remembered to look for a Legion Mod source code on its thread and found its GitHub page with all of it and some formats explained: (I'm not allowed to link)
    Last edited: July 11, 2016
  2. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I believe there are some already. Maybe check the planetary annihilation (vanilla not Titans) mod support forum.
  3. sllypper

sllypper New Member

I have modified some files and I want to test. What should I do?

Do I copy and paste those files on top of the game's or is there a better and more organized way to do stuff, like a working offline Mod Manager, or a way to pack the files and have the game recognize it as a mod?
  4. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Community Mod Manager will pick up file system mods.

So you will have to create a folder "server_mods" or "client_mods" in your https://wiki.palobby.com/wiki/Planetary_Annihilation_Data_Directory

There you'll put your "extracted" mod and it should be active in community mods...

Good starting point = https://wiki.palobby.com/wiki/Planetary_Annihilation_Modding

In your case I guess it's going to be a server_mod if you add or change units.

I suggest taking a look at some existing "simple" mods to see how to get started..

Like : https://github.com/flubbateios/FixReclaim-server/ which modifiers commanders values...
    sllypper, elodea, Nicb1 and 2 others like this.
  5. sllypper

sllypper New Member

Wow! Thank you so much! :D That's exactly what I was looking for!
    elodea, Nicb1 and dom314 like this.
  6. sllypper

sllypper New Member

Hello again!

I've been trying to manually load a mod into PA without success. Is this not right?

I also tried loading only FixReclaim-server as well but it too doesn't show up in the log, and neither does the folder server_mods. FixReclaim also didn't appear is the skirmish lobby despite the game telling me to remove all local mods in order to use Community Mods at the menu.

How do I manually load a mod file into PA?

Thanks again :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: August 10, 2016
  7. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Can you see your local mod in the community tab?
    sllypper likes this.
  8. sllypper

sllypper New Member

I can! Thank you so much! :D