[REQUEST] Area Build Toggle

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by mike546378, June 4, 2015.

1. mike546378

mike546378 New Member

I'm sure we have all had those moments where area building factories or nukes would be a lot more useful and faster than building them in rows similar to how metal and energy storage is built. Looking for a mod that can add a toggle to switch between row and area build mode
    ace63 likes this.
  2. wondible

wondible Post Master General

I don't believe it is possible. This is a static unit property handled by the black box engine.
  3. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

It probably is possible - certain structures like storage build in a circle as defined by radius, instead of a line defined by length. I'm sure mods have tweaked that. So probably possible? I don't know, I'm not a modder!
  4. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Tweaking the area build is possible.
    Say for ex: building mines in circles instead of lines.

Toggling between building in circles or lines is what impossible.
    xankar and zihuatanejo like this.
  5. mike546378

mike546378 New Member

hmm, in that case anyone wanting to make a quick mod to change nuke placement to circle area build instead of line placement? Not bothered about the factories or the toggling, really only nukes I want. Planning on attempting to break the record for most nukes launched at once and this would be a great help
  6. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

If you want a really quick mod. You can just edit the game files themselves. Open the file "<PA Install Directory>/media/pa/units/land/nuke_launcher/nuke_launcher.json" and add:
    Code:
    ,"area_build_type":"Sphere"
    You can add that field just before the last } and it should then build nuke launcher as a circle. Take care of the commas!

This hack will disappear if you verify or update PA.
  7. mike546378

mike546378 New Member

Tried that before posting on here originally and it didn't work which made me think there was more to it so I made the post here. Just tried again and it still definatelly dosen't work
  8. DeathByDenim

Odd, that should have worked... Actually, it turns out I helped somebody with that earlier here and it worked then. Bizarre.
    I'll try to have a look at it later unless somebody beats me to it. :)
  9. mike546378

mike546378 New Member

No idea why it would work for that previous person and not for me unless something was changed in a recent update. Thanks for taking a look into it anyway, let me know if you come up with anything :)
  10. mike546378

mike546378 New Member

Looks like I beat you to it, made the edited nuke_launcher.json file into a mod and it worked perfectly. Seems the game just doesn't like editing raw game files. Uploaded to pamm under the name "Nuke Area Build" if anyone else wants it. Thanks for the help anyway :)
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  11. DeathByDenim

That's really odd, but good for you! :)