[Req] TA by Poosticks for PA: METAL; T1 vs T2

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Jaedrik, July 8, 2014.

1. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

Hello! If you played TA and participated in TAU, you probably know about this: http://taguide.tauniverse.com/taguide.html

One of the great things about this analysis is it details the break even points of both metal extractors neatly and well, and a careful analysis of the opportunity cost of going straight to a Moho Mine (T2 mex) as opposed to putting a T1 mex on the patch. I haven't been able to find if this has already been done for PA, and I know for a FACT this type of analysis would be appreciated and loved.

If someone could just do the mex break evens and opportunity costs in neat graphics with the maths and the things, please do! This is vital information we all ought to have. If this is already made, please point me to it, I couldn't find it because I'm a scrublord :O

Edit: Also if someone could make a whole guide that would be great :eek: ;)
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Rather pointless with the current balance changing as often as it is and with as few units being useful as are. I did a guide back a few months ago when we had the same balance for months and most of the units were actually useful, but now there's just no point.
  3. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

I anticipated this counterpoint. I think that a mex opportunity cost formula and graphic would do wonders for the lazy/mathematically inept peoples at a minimal cost to the one who develops it to get it to other people.
    Of course, the whole guide is just a silly request. What I want most is when to build T1/T2 mexes in what contexts for optimal metal efficiency and maximal production.
    And if metal production is ever changed again, it's really easy to update it, methinks, just a few different numbers into the formula and viola!
  4. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

So, nobody smart/persistent enough is interested in metal optimization?

:(

Bump!
  5. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

6. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

In PA you don't have variable metal income, it's as simple as payoff time:

T1 mex = 21.4s
    T2 mex = 1m 23s

http://pa-db.com/

So always build t1 mex as a priority, and only build a t2 mex if you are confident you can protect it for at least 1.5 minutes.
    Jaedrik likes this.
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Also as a side note there is no reason *not* to build T1 mex in PA as the T1 and T2 metal extractors stack on the same spot for maximum output. In TA you had to reclaim the T1 mex before you could place a T2 on the spot which made the choice more critical, PA takes the approach of "why not both?!" :)
  8. donut64

donut64 Member

PA is both simpler and constantly changing. The only thing you must know is:

- You always need more mexes
    - Your enemy always needs less mexes than they have
    - You shouldn't 'float' energy