Release date of this summer realistic?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by CrixOMix, March 7, 2013.

1. CrixOMix

CrixOMix Member

So I was doing some discussing with some friends and we all have seen many kickstarters having a very ambitious launch date.

Is summer 2013 a realistic date for this game? I read the blog post today and it looks like it's going to enter into some form of alpha in the next month or so. That leaves only 3 or 4 months to finish everything. I am super excited for the game and have already pre-ordered, and have complete faith in what the game will become. I am just a bit skeptical about when the game will actually be released.

Thoughts?
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Depending on how the alpha/beta goes, I can see maybe cutting some of the extra aspects of the game, like say gas giants, until post release, but the core game should be ready unless something truely drastic happens, like a fire.

When it comes to making large Scale RTSs, Jon and Co. are literally the best in the business.

Mike
    Last edited: March 7, 2013
  3. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

John's definitely the best Jon.
  4. KNight

Whups, I always get those mixed up, on top of just being bad with names in general.

Mike
  5. syox

syox Member

I dont think the game is ready till summer. And for me it dont need to be. They shall release it when its done, not when a date occurs. Or they could have worked with a producer from start.
  6. KNight

Also worth noting, there is no release date, the KS said Est Date: Summer 2013(That's American Summer), and summer kinda goes until the end of August, That's still just under 5 months and even then, if they have to go later, and explain why honestly, I don't see how it'll be a problem.

It's not like Uber came out to say "MARK DOWN JULY 21st IN YOUR EPIC CALENDERS GUYS!!!!111!!!one!", All they said was "We're aiming for a Summer release date and when we get a better idea we'll let you know."

Mike
  7. CrixOMix

CrixOMix Member

Well that was basically the whole point of my question. I'm not gonna freak out, and I know they don't have a specific date. Was just curious if people thought whether or not it was actually going to happen in summer or not.
  8. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

They should make a webpage. With a giant counter. That counts down.

:cool:
  9. syox

syox Member

The could make a webpage with a counter that counts up.
    Title: Awesomenes per day put in the game.
  10. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

We still have every reason to think we can hit this summer, even if that means 11:59PM at the international dateline on September 20th (though hopefully not THAT close to the end of summer ;-)).

You guys will be the first to know if that changes, but I can also say, as the guy who watches the team momentum like a hawk, and 16 years of gauging team momentum, I firmly believe it's still something we can do.

That's all I'll say on the matter though, as I don't want people parsing my words. :mrgreen:
  11. KNight

Reminds me of the 'infamous' line on the GPG forums around the SupCom/Demigod days, "[I/you] Can Neither Confirm nor Deny anything." ! ;p

Mike
  12. calmesepai

calmesepai Member

Well uber could bring it out in december it will be summer in australia :lol:
  13. CrixOMix

CrixOMix Member

You have no idea how happy this makes me :) And as someone with alpha access, I look forward to being able to access the game sooner than that! Thanks for the response. I'm glad you are a realistic team with realistic goals! Can't wait for the livestream Friday!
  14. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I'm not concerned as long as they don't make an internet site with a countdown. But that's probably more a CT/GPG thing anyway. :p
  15. KNight

Agreed, it seems to have massively backfired on both attempts so hopefully that'll be the end of them.

Mike
  16. cptbritish

cptbritish Member

Personally I don't mind, i've always thought Beta would launch in Summer (Due to me been a "Glass is half empty" guy with games) and seeing as though i'm gonna be in beta and too skint at the moment to justify upgrading my pledge on a game (hats off to the guys that spent hundreds though) I've always expected that i'll be able to start playing in Summer.

Hopefully the Alpha bugs will be finished and I can start smashing rocks around.

In a Nutshell, it'll be done when its done.
  17. parge

parge Member

Though I would really hope this summer for a release, I'm always super skeptical of video game release dates that seem even slightly ambitious.

To be honest, if its done in Summer then great! If not, then fine. I'd rather a more polished/complete game released in Q4.
  18. krashkourse

krashkourse Member

I love the alpha and beta testing stages so that we as a community can get on the making that release date happen with amazing results
  19. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

I'm rather surprised that the ETA has not been revised, Summer 2013 was the pre-stretch-goal, pre-KS-completion date after all. But if they can get it done in that time then great, but I for one will not object to waiting longer if Uber feel that is the right thing to do.
  20. asgo

asgo Member

as long as the countdown is able to show negative numbers, I see no problem. :)