[REL][WIP] SimplyLess

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by thetrophysystem, August 27, 2014.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

The name of this mod is "SimplyLess".

It makes the gameplay simply less. Simply less units produced per minute. Simply less stuff built per minute. Simply less unit speed. The idea is, less is simpler. Less units to stockpile, counterbalanced in other ways to allow fewer units to do the combat of the old amount. Less speed, more reaction time. Longer build times, more time to look around and make decisions. This is going to durastically reduce effectiveness of a players APM.

Basically, your units will build as fast as structures, you will build less units, your units will move slower, your units will not die as fast from other units, your units will make more of an impact on an enemy base with less units, t2 will be t2 but will seem like experimentals with how few they are... Between everything, your require less speed moving mouse around to look around or react to something that is happening to you.

Some will consider this playing "Devil's Advocate". "Breaking PA". PA was inheirently designed around a macro scale, and the direct and only goal of this, is to reduce it durastically to a common dime a dozen 90s RTS speed and scale.

Now, to understand my thinking, ask yourself. Why make this now? What else is happening now? Well, if you thought long enough, you may come up with "1.0 release". Yes, this is intended to be made soon, hopefully play a few games with it, and when 1.0 comes up, I will hopefully feed the whole thing over into a 1.0 capatable version of it. Then, it goes viral, I make the most popular server mod in existance at the time, and figure out a way to profit off hosting it with advertizing... JUST KIDDING, it will make mods more popular and vanilla and mods will get the use they deserve AND hopefully it will retain new players better.

This is an engine-hook feature I was hopeful for, as far as the speed of the game simulation being scaleable with an option setting. A single game lobby setting, to make units take 3 seconds to build and travel a planet in 30 seconds, or 20 seconds to build and several minutes to travel across planet.

It will be vanilla, at an introductary pace and manageable scale. Hell, it might play BETTER than vanilla. But everything should stay at scale, so if going from this to vanilla, it just seems faster and the units just require X many more to do the same thing.

What This Changes:

-Units produced from a factory do the same damage, have 3x health, 3x cost, around half speed.
    -Structures that defend have some additional damage but 2x health and 2x cost.
    -Structures that attack have 2x cost and nearly same health.
    -All eco, factory, recon, utility structures have 1/3 health and twice cost.

LEAVE FEEDBACK. NOTES WILL BE POSTED HERE:

-

Attached Files:

Last edited: August 28, 2014
    nixtempestas and igncom1 like this.
  2. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

Nice to see another vanilla based balance mod join the party :)

Statera and RCBM are fun, but can be daunting at first as you have to practically relearn the game.

EDIT: One thing I found with anti-popcorn was that infernos and vanguards responded more strongly to health increases, as the increase makes it easier for them to get in range (relatively) unscathed and make a mess of an army. The fact everything is slower may fix this with everything having the same rate of fire. Something to keep an eye on at any rate
  3. thetrophysystem

Yes, I was noticing that. I don't think I will actually scale t2 even because of that. T2 may end up staying the same and t1 will scale up. I think I will just try increasing their health and cost x4, their speed in half, and reduce health on all structures to 1/3 and increase their cost x2, then I may do something with t2 afterwards.

I just got to get a sensible balance, where I tweak grey areas, but most the game just feels like "1 ant costs 4 vanilla and does the work of 4 vanilla with as long a battle as 4 vanilla ants".
  4. nixtempestas

Handling t2 separetly is probably a good idea, especially with their already rather extreme stats
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Hehe, sorry about that. Still not as many units as TA with Core Contingency!... Yet. ;)

Edit: Your post count is practically satanic.
  6. nixtempestas

lol, can't have that 667!
  7. thetrophysystem

Works in PTE. New version too, this adds extra commander fabrication range to counter the shorter walk distance upon startup, and adjusts some commander weapons, and adjusts AA damage because even being slower air with extra health soaks a lot of damage.

Combat Fabbers cost a lot, but also are invaluable because it takes extreme focus fire to kill a unit and these make units last much longer. Their cost also prevent them from healing their own damage, it takes several seconds of repair just to repair a shot from an ant on combat fabbers.