[REL] Star Wars Planet Names

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by cptconundrum, January 25, 2014.

1. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I replaced the random name generation functions with some that create planets named after Star Wars. The names are chosen based on biome, but this is just a quick first pass. The next version will probably try to do a better job of picking the right name. We all want our randomly generated ice planets to be named Hoth, right?

For now, we just have to settle with picking from a pool of names for each biome. I used this page to make my list. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_planets

There aren't a lot of planet names in the mod, so repeats are likely. It is also pretty hard to match some of them up to a PA biome, but I did my best. I'd like help from any Star Wars super-fans out there in making these lists better. This mod can also easily be used to create biome-dependent random name lists for any other theme you want!

Here are the full planet lists;

Update 1
    Updated to v1.0.1 to fix the system editor, which did not work in 1.0

Update 2
    ok, Apparently I released this before doing enough testing. v1.0.1 kind of blows up the whole system editor. Is there a way to change the title to [WIP]?

Update 3
    Fixed the system editor bug. Everything should be working now!

Update v1.1.0 1/25/14
    Added support for ice and desert planets. The lists are getting to be really small now, which is a problem.

Mod Discontinued
    I'm discontinuing this mod now that I have released a more general version. See Planet Name Themes for more.

Attached Files:

Last edited: January 25, 2014
    LavaSnake likes this.
  2. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

3. cptconundrum

We should make a Stargate one, too! It would go well with your Stargate bugfix mod.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  4. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

5. cptconundrum

I did use a canon only list. If you want to sort that by biome, I'll replace the existing list. We can also go with something in between and only add the more well known non-canon names. I don't really have time to look up each planet and pick a biome myself.

My next step is to add support for ice and desert as separate biomes. I also plan to generalize it to make it easier to use different lists. Maybe I can have a different file for each theme and put an option in the game's settings for switching.
  6. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

I'd love that! I'm busy with two other mod ideas right now but that would be epic to use.
  7. cptconundrum

Updated to v1.1.0 with support for ice and desert biomes. I can't wait for gas giants, so we can have Yavin and Bespin!

I'm going to start generalizing it so that you can pick your theme from the settings menu. I don't have a lot of time though, so any help in making the actual lists is appreciated. Pick any theme!
    LavaSnake likes this.
  8. cptconundrum

I'm working on it, but I don't know what to do with the metal planets.
  9. mrtalltree

mrtalltree New Member

Starforge