[REL] Notes v1.5 [76456]

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by DeathByDenim, January 1, 2014.

1. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

This mod will allow you to keep notes on your fellow players. There's a player that always uses air? Write it in a note! There's a player that keeps nuking you? Write it in a note! You want to appear supercreepy by remembering stuff they said once in a game months ago? Write a note!

Screenshots:
    start.jpg lobby.jpg new_game.jpg live_game.jpg

An icon for a note will appear everywhere a name appears. So even in the server browser, you can see the notes on players before joining that particular game.

Install the mod from the mod manager. You can also download it from GitHub.

Version history:
    • 1.5: Compatibility for build 76456
    • 1.4: Finally updated for build 74525 thanks to @LavaSnake 's work on the floating frame.
    • 1.3.2: Fixed missing icons and fixed some ugliness in the Game Over screen when using PA Stats.
    • 1.3: Finally compatible with the gamma builds again.
    • 1.2: Fix bug causing save and cancel button to not work sometimes. Also code cleanup to prevent mod conflicts per the suggestions of @ORFJackal.
    • 1.1: New tab "Notes" in the social screen, showing all of the notes you have stored. A custom game over screen was also added, so you can edit your notes there too. This is compatible with the custom game over screen for the PA Stats mod
    • 1.0: Initial release.
    Last edited: December 18, 2014
  2. DeathByDenim

3. elitedanzel

elitedanzel Active Member

Added to PAMM.

Edit: Added you to the github team too :)
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  4. DeathByDenim

New version available. Update from the mod manager now!
  5. DeathByDenim

Another new version available. This fixes a bug caused by clicking the note-icon multiple times. That caused the save and cancel buttons to stop working. Also there has been some code clean-up.
  6. DeathByDenim

Partially broken in build 62037. It still works in the social screen and during the actual game, but it's broken in the lobby itself. Also it doesn't appear to show player names in the server browser anymore so it's broken there too.
  7. DeathByDenim

Finally compatible with the gamma builds again! Yay!
    LavaSnake likes this.
  8. davedontmind

davedontmind Member

Since I've started playing random strangers I've been using this mod quite a bit to keep track of people's playing behaviour, and I've thought of a few tweaks that would make it even more useful

1. Add note support to your "Players in Server Browser" mod, so I can see my player notes before I decide to join a game

2. Presumably the notes are stored with all the other PA save data, so an export/import feature (like in Hotbuild2) would be useful, to allow backup of notes in case a patch requires a reset of game data, or I need to move machines, etc.

3. Perhaps, in addition to a piece of text, allow selection of an icon for each player which would be displayed alongside the notes icon, so I could, for example, have one icon to mean "great player", another to mean "don't play with this guy", etc, then it would be easy to see at a glance which people to play with / avoid /etc (especially if integrated with the Players in Server Browser" mod!)

Anyway, regardless of the above, thumbs up for a really useful mod!
  9. DeathByDenim

Uh oh, doesn't that already work? That's the whole reason I wrote the "Players in Server Browser" mod in the first place. Doh!
    Just to be sure: The note icon should only show up for players with a note. The other players don't get any icon. You see players in the server browser that have a note, but no note icon?

Right, good idea!

That's an interesting idea! That would require some doing, but certainly doable. It might even work as a standalone mod maybe.
  10. davedontmind

davedontmind Member

Don't panic, I may have been a bit premature with that... I assumed it didn't because in all other cases there's a note icon by a player name even if I haven't saved a note, with a mark on the icon if there is a note. In the case of the player list in the server browser there is no icon, so I assumed the functionality wasn't there, but perhaps I just didn't see any players I've made notes for . I'll have to re-check and hope I see some recognizable names online. It does seem a little inconsistent with the other places player names appear, though, if it doesn't show an icon here unless I've got a note saved.
  11. DeathByDenim

Ah, yeah. I didn't put a no-note icon in the server browser because there was no reason to be able to enter notes there.
  12. DeathByDenim

Still works in build 63180.
    davedontmind likes this.
  13. squawkers13

squawkers13 Member

Could you possibly make it so you can access individual notes for each player in a team (in-game) and that all AI's note pages are simply notes on it's difficulty? (All Normal AIs share a note, etc)
  14. DeathByDenim

No, in team games the team info is sent as one giant "player", whose name is that of all of the team members combined. The only way to separate those would be by splitting the based on the spaces between the names. Unfortunately, player names can contain spaces as well... :(

The AI having a note was kind of a bug. I was planning to remove the note icon altogether, but never got around to it. There is no way to tell the difficulty level during the game though.

Maybe I should get this info from the lobby page before the game starts, but then it would fail on reconnects though.
  15. ViolentMind

ViolentMind Active Member

Any plans to update this for the newest build? I actually used this a good bit when it worked.
  16. DeathByDenim

Yeah, I find it quite convenient as well and I do plan to update it, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. It's not the lightest of UI mods since it ties into so many scenes.
    ViolentMind likes this.
  17. DeathByDenim

Finally updated for build 74525! Thanks @LavaSnake for your work on the Floating Frame framework !
    ViolentMind likes this.
  18. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Moved to Released mods forum :)
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  19. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

You're quite welcome.
  20. mysticalfists

mysticalfists Member

ROFLMAO!! Nice work mate!~