[REL] Maintenance

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by trialq, February 8, 2015.

1. trialq

trialq Post Master General

This server mod makes every unit consume 0.1 metal per second. In doing so, it:
    • Encourages expansion, armies get hungrier the bigger they get
    • Encourages uptake of T2, for efficiency
    • Encourages more thought to go into unit composition
    • Doesn't impact the early game to a large degree, although it may alter some decision making
    • Acts as a rate limiter in the later stage of the game, which is a lag deterrent. Especially in large games

The only units with no maintenance cost are commanders and mines. Walls do have a maintenance cost.
    zx0, Tripod27 and Pendaelose like this.
  2. ViolentMind

ViolentMind Active Member

Might I suggest that you call this one something like "Unit Maintenance Cost". Just "Maintenance" implies something completely different when you read it. Just a suggestion.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  3. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

heh yeah, I thought it was something ridiculous like all units and structures slowly losing health all the time

This idea is actually great though, I would even go as far as wanting it to be in the stock game
    warrenkc likes this.
  4. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

Cool, I like it that the mod encourages player to throw units into battle immediatly, so that they pay off. I don't know if the same maintenance cost is a good thing though, it makes lower cost units very unwanted.
  5. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

Man I just want a game that doesn't end up being slo-mo after 20 minutes in from T1 spam
    warrenkc likes this.
  6. trialq

trialq Post Master General

@ViolentMind
    Renamed to Maintenance Costs. Still short and sweet enough, which is what I was going for.

@zx0
    For technical reasons it's easier for everything to have the same maintenance cost (ie I just alter the 7 base unit types that all others inherit from, instead of every unit, which also means it plays nice with most other server mods). I think it's a neat feature to do it this way rather than based on metal cost or something, precisely to make lower cost units unwanted late game. Early game it doesn't have as much impact, obviously it needs testing but I believe dox spam early game is still as valid as it is in vanilla.

@Tripod27
    A mode which soft-counters slo-mo without affecting early game is what I was going for, how well it works will require testing: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/better-performance-mod.67839/
    ViolentMind likes this.
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Ancient mod purged.