[REL] League Of Commanders

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by cptconundrum, November 22, 2014.

1. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

[​IMG]

League Of Commanders
    League of Commanders is a mod designed for competitive team games. Inspired by MOBAS, this mod replaces the game's commanders with a set of new unique commanders that all have different strengths and weaknesses. Teams that learn to take advantage of these differences by combining commanders that work well together will always be much more successful than those that do not.

Some commanders need to be unlocked in the armory if you want to use them, but there will be at least 6 that are always free for everyone. Commanders that are not free have multiple options for unlocking them to increase that chance that a player owns at least one or two of the extra commanders. Custom servers can be configured to allow all unique commanders. In addition to the 6 free commanders, there are currently another 5 that can be unlocked, for a total of 11.

The mod comes in two parts; the client mod that enables commander picking in the lobby and the server mod, which is only needed by the host. Every player should have the client mod installed.

Designed For Teams

Free Pick
    This is the default game mode. Each player can select their commander as normal and use them in the game. People without the UI mod can play this, but they will not see the commander options correctly in the lobby.

Pick Rotation
    The host gets a “Start picks” button in the lobby. when everybody is ready, the host can press that button to start the pick rotation. At this point nobody can choose a commander unless it is their turn and no commander can be picked twice in each game. A team is randomly chosen to get first pick of their commander. After that, the picks rotate through the teams letting each team pick two commanders until everyone is finished. Using this game mode, you can be sure that two teams can play many matches without using the same commanders in any two games.

The Commanders
    The full list of commanders is now available in this article at exodusesports.com
    Last edited: December 24, 2014
    trialq, archmagecarn, drz1 and 5 others like this.
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

This looks awesome. From the title I was expecting a MOBA gamemode :p
  3. cptconundrum

Yeah it's not a moba and the whole tech tree is still intact, but clearly it was inspired by that genre. Some of these commanders are pretty crazy but this is still PA.
  4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Wait, shouldn't BSport be the Theta and Conundrum the Armalisk? Marshall should be the Invictus since it's the closest thing to a Delta, unless Tripax has a commander preference I don't know.
  5. cptconundrum

I look forward to seeing your mod! :p
    stuart98 and wpmarshall like this.
  6. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

I don't see a PRoeleert commander so meh !
  7. cptconundrum

The PRoeleert will be the combat fabricator with high speed, low health, and an efficient repair arm. It probably will have no Uber Cannon. On its own it might not be so useful, but a PRoeleert following a Quitch into a base could probably just walk right in and knock down every building.
    proeleert likes this.
  8. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

A PRoeleert should be the name for a single wall unit, surrounded by turrets all named after an eXodus member.
    xankar and squishypon3 like this.
  9. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I posted somewhere else but with the advent of map editor tools, isn't it time someone tried to create a true DOTA style mod? Or at least a precursor version with lanes. Creeps is hard to do but you could maybe preload turrets and change the build rate for creeps.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Actually you probably could do creeps by using cheats: cheat in units for army xyz, cheat control over army xyz, give move commands, cheat control away over army xyz. Would probably work.
    philoscience likes this.
  11. cptconundrum

This mod is meant to be much more limited than a real moba in that all I'm intending to change are the commanders. If someone wanted to use my commanders as a starting point for a true moba though, that would be cool.
    philoscience likes this.
  12. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Anyone who uses the Marshall Commander - let me know for a free high-five :)
    cptconundrum likes this.
  13. cptconundrum

Mered tried it and said it was very useful. It doesn't last on the front line but it can see everything.
    wpmarshall likes this.
  14. cptconundrum

In a test, the Bsport seemed really weak. I have given it a crazy Exodus Beam that can fire only when it is directly above a target. The beam can kill a factory in one shot and has good AOE, but does absolutely zero damage to commanders. I have it on a 10 second cooldown for now.

Last edited: November 23, 2014
    drz1 and Bsport like this.
  15. cptconundrum

Please let me know if anyone is interested in helping to make the lobby UI for this mod.
  16. cptconundrum

Added the PRoeleert combat fabricator commander
  17. cptconundrum

18. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

@cptconundrum I had planned on something similar to this, but I got sidetracked/super busy, glad to see it happening. I'd be happy to help any way I can in the future. :)
  19. cptconundrum

I will happily consider ideas, weapon effects, etc. I mostly need help with the lobby code though. I can probably do it, but it sounds messy and time-consuming. I need someone that doesn't like fun things to make it. :p
  20. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Ew, ui work, I'll woefully tell you I'm not well versed in extended javascript, though I'd love to learn. :D