[REL] CPlosion mod V4 (23-03-2015) 79600

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by Alpha2546, October 12, 2014.

1. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

So I've been tinkering with the particles in PA this weekend and I thought that the explosions of building and units could use an upgrade.

This mod will change explosions of buildings and landunits into cool teamcoloured looking ones!

A Pic
    effect2.jpg
    another one
    effect1.jpg

This is my first mod so I'd love to hear some feedback! I only think the black colour looks kinda funky but it still ain't that bad though :) .

A video (around 13:00 you can see the mod in action)
    http://www.twitch.tv/alpha2546/b/577459074

I'd like to give some credit to @Fr33Lancer for the teamcolour code and ofcourse @bgolus for the support! I'm not sure if its already on PAMM yet. Did do a submission though :).

Hav fun with it and owyeah warning once you have it you might not wanna go back to the standard ones :p .

UPDATE V2
    So V2 has been released on PAMM thanks to @trialq ( I'm getting there with the github thingy). I altered the explosions for air, orbital and ships and did a few minor modifications on the units explosions and building (which probably won't be very noticable).

Added some code that explosions won't be visible anymore if you zoom out far enough.
    Also changed scaling of explosions on a few units. (for instance the t1 factory's explosion is the same as the t1 bot factory).

And thats it for v2 I think. I hope you guys like it! If not you can always put in some requests at the WIP topic : https://forums.uberent.com/threads/wip-cplosion-v2.65371/

UPDATE V3
    V3.1 just went up! Changes are:
    • Hopefully fixed the crashing. Getting the unkown error type RING shouldn't be possible so we'll see how it goes.
    • Gave the orbital CPlosion more luv. They're looking much more spacy and nice. the original was kinda boring.

Have fun!

Attached Files:

Last edited: December 3, 2014
    Jakofo, Planktum, tunsel11 and 18 others like this.
  2. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

:eek: Holy hell dude!
    Alpha2546 and stuart98 like this.
  3. timp13

timp13 Member

Its soooooo pretty, I like pretty colors...
    squishypon3, Alpha2546 and stuart98 like this.
  4. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

Nice work. You did more than just change the colors ;)

Can't say I am a fan of the ring smoke wave for buildings explosion (they're too common for such a "special" effect :p), but hey, tastes and colors, ...
    Moreover, their effects is shared with naval units, and that's just odd :eek:

Any plans for air/orbital explosions ?
  5. Maldor96

Maldor96 Active Member

What did you use to modify the .pfx files? Or did you rename a file to that?
  6. Fr33Lancer

pfx are just text files like structured json and can be opened with any text editor
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

pfx files are specifically formatted json files. Putting them through the python automatic json formatter breaks them but you can paste them into jsonlint and format them through that and they'll work just fine.
  8. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Woaaaaaa
    [​IMG]
    squishypon3 and Alpha2546 like this.
  9. Maldor96

Maldor96 Active Member

Thank you much, is there also a way to view them when not in game or is that out of the realm of possibility for now?
  10. stuart98

I don't think so. @bgolus himself tests them by viewing them in-game after changing them. You probably could make some viewer for it, but none exists ATM.
  11. Alpha2546

I edited the files with notepad ++ and the jsonviewer plugin. It worked but it has few annoyances. You should try it. You can always pm if you need help with it.

I had my doubts with the smoke wave however I wanted something that would really show that you're destroying a building and not just another unit. Maybe in the future I'll change it up with a more greyish lighter smoke. Then it'll probably be less overwhelming, however I definately thinks that it improves the visuals then what it was before. (not trying to be rude Bgolus :p )

I do have some more plans.
    I have this visual in my head of ww2 flak in the sky( you know explosion and smoke everywhere in the sky) but then instead of smoke some coloured spheric explosions. Then I'll probably take this effect to orbital and add some to make it look more spacey.

I want smoke moving to a direction (like the wind is taking the smoke away). Wondering how this can work out on a spherical map though.

A minor detail which really annoys me is that the explosion for t2 factory's, orbital, en t1 vehicle is really big. I'd like to make it smaller.

I dont know if its possible already but maybe giving a vulcano some eruption now and then would be cool too....

Btw I didn't check if naval got those splosions :O gonna do this soon. Did it look weird XD?
  12. Fr33Lancer

Yes they do :confused:
    From base_ship.json :
    So, unless Uber makes a copy of this one into something like default_naval_explosion.pfx, they are tied together.
    Like air units explosions are tied to nuke implosion effect.
    And if you want to modify some json, it has to be a server mod AFAIK, so not ideal at all :(
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  13. stuart98

Client side mods can modify jsons. You can't change the weapon/ammo file a unit uses but you can change the effects no problem.
    Fr33Lancer and Alpha2546 like this.
  14. Alpha2546

Well I'm definately going to try this out! I'll let you know if it'll work or not. Thanks for the info.
  15. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Depends on your definition of "in game" - start a game with cheats and an econ x0 AI, just keep pasting and self-destructing things.

If you're really ambitions, mod the health of a few units to zero and they'll blow up as soon as you paste them :^)
  16. Maldor96

Maldor96 Active Member

I had an idea to modify the fab stream, but I came up fruitless on that...
  17. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

This is really cool! I haven't actually tried it in game yet, but watched some of that recorded stream. Will hopefully try for real tomorrow.

Would you be up for helping me with a couple of effects in Boom Bot Wars? The Boom Tanks explosion is an upscaled Boom explosion, but I don't think I did it that well and it doesn't look very impressive, and the effect of the Boom Mine jumping out of the ground could probably be improved. PM me or catch me on IRC if you don't want to fill up your thread with random crap that isn't actually about your mod.
    Alpha2546 and proeleert like this.
  18. stuart98

Try having the death effect be a normal sized boom explosion and the ammo be an upscaled boom explosion. Works for Statera (At least I think that's what we do with our booms...)
  19. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

Last time I tried that I don't think it worked. I thought you could only scale a few of the simple older explosions like that.
  20. stuart98

All explosions that link to a pfx (and not a json that configures a pfx) can be scaled AFAIK.