[REL] [CLIENT] Super Select

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by coldboot, May 3, 2015.

1. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

I just made the "Super Select" mod, and you can get it from PA Mod Manager (PAMM).

[​IMG]

Super Select on GitHub

In general it adds many more ways to select units. Specifically it currently has these two features:
    1. Select Previous Selection:
      Selects the previous selection, up to 32 selections ago.
    2. Select Next Selection:
      Goes forward in the list of selections after going back. Exactly like a "Selection Undo Buffer".
    3. Select Each Unit in Selection:
      Cycles through each individual unit of the current selection.
    Both features are compatible with each other. Try it and you'll see.

Look for the "Super Select" tab in Settings to bind the keys:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

While you are on the selection topic ;)
    I've toyed around with an idea, but never had the time to implement it and it would fit here really well.

Basically, add another key:
    Recall selection:
    When pressed, for each unit in the current selection: Find the last selection within your selection history the unit was in and merge this selection to the current selection.

I don't know if this is useful for others, but I imagine this could be handy for me, since I love to split my army in full combat to make things like two sided attacks and I find it really hard to define unit groups and remembering the numbers mid combat.
    coldboot likes this.
  3. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

Now that is an excellent idea.

Just to clarify, are you saying that when I click a unit and issue "Recall Selection", the game will select the last selection that this unit was a part of? So if you're raiding with four different groups, and you want to change one of their orders, you can just select a unit that's in the general vicinity and recall his selection. This ensures that you don't end up reissuing orders to a groups of units that were going in different directions.
    crizmess likes this.
  4. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

I just deployed "Select Next Selection", so now you can move backwards and forwards in the selection history. It seems to work flawlessly. And when you invoke "Select Each Unit in Selection", it will cycle through all the units, while preserving the previous and next selections before you started doing that.
  5. crizmess

Exactly.
  6. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Brilliant!
    coldboot likes this.
  7. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

Just fixed a bug that prevented "Select Prev/Next Selection" from working.
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Haven't tried, but if you hold Shift and click previous or next selection, wouldn't it add the selection without subtracting the last selection? That is usually how Shift Key works...
  9. crizmess

Well, merging isn't the core feature behind this idea.
    The key idea behind "Recall selection" is the observation that people usually issue orders on groups that are temporarily stable. This means that if you have a group of units and you issue them an order, it is likely you want to issue this group of units another order in the near future.

Did you ever had combat fabbers on reclaiming trees, and your army moved through and all the combat fabbers got intermixed with the army?
    With "Recall Selection" you select one combat fabber you get hold of that isn't lost in the army and recall it's last selection, and voilá you have all combat fabber selected again.
    Granted this is a to clean example, and usually you can solve this one with the "Select all of same Kind", but there are some more scenarios where the-same-kind may not work any more. (groups with more then one unit type, and/or more than one group with the same unit type)
  10. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

What you're talking about is different.

If you click on a single unit, then invoke "Recall Selection", it will recall the last selection that unit was a part of. You could do it with multiple units, and it would select the union of selections that they were a part of.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  11. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Oh so rather, this is "better squads", and not "previous and next selection memory recall".

A shame this wasn't thought of while Uber was working on this sort of thing. This is likely an improvement on how to do squads, instead of hotkeying groups in 1-10 or more using additional hotkeys, you can just use a hotkey to cycle a previous selection that included any unit you pull up.
  12. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

I'm sure they thought of it, and many more features that they couldn't get done.

I spoke to Jon Mavor on the forums and he said they had already come up with OFCEs (Orders as First-Class Entities) which are independent of units themselves, but they just can't do everything. Good thing we can mod the UI so well, which is what makes these things possible for the community to do. They've done such a stellar job, I'm so happy with the UI modding process.
  13. Aryzing

Aryzing Member

Currently Ctrl+Z selects all matching units on screen. Can you add a "Select all matching units on planet"? Thanks. Also, an orbital selector would be awesome, there is currently no hotkey to select orbital units. Thanks!