[REL] Blips in the dark

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by sleepykid12, November 7, 2014.

1. sleepykid12

sleepykid12 New Member

Small sever mod where vision of all units apart from scouts and the commander is replaced with radar. I̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶u̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶o̶o̶m̶-̶b̶o̶t̶ ̶k̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶v̶i̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶u̶n̶i̶t̶s̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶j̶s̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶. All units now have a boom bot vision. Vision from commander, mexes and scouts have now been reduced reduced.
    Also I have made a kind of opposite mod, which gives the commander and teleporter (for when you go on to new planets) insane vision so you never need to scout.
    Soon on PAMM
    Edit: Blips in the dark on PAMM.
    Decided not to put the opposite mod on to PAMM, because really it is not that fun. You know everything that is going on and you can't have any surprise attacks. Also, you can achieve the same thing using cheats. Here is the link if anyone wants to play it still:
    https://github.com/sleepykid1/No_scouting/archive/master.zip
    Last edited: November 9, 2014
    trialq and wondible like this.
  2. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Didn't find this at first, because it claims to have been released in July.

But more importantly, I can't build anything except scouts. Terminal output has lots of messages like these:

The immediate issue is that radar needs to be quoted; fixing that could uncover more issues.
  3. sleepykid12

sleepykid12 New Member

Thanks for pointing out what I did wrong. I used a mass converter to change the sight to radar, but it ignored the quotes so that stopped working. I have now updated it and it seems to work. The date confused me because it goes year/month/day and I thought it went year/day/month/. I have now updated it to PAMM and it worked for me.
  4. wondible

Excellent. Expanding on my thoughts (you made the mod - do what you want)

I was thinking sort of a horror feel - there is something rustling out in the woods, but how close do you dare get? Units having a little bit of vision plays into this - you do get to find out, but it may be too late to retreat by the time you discover your raid stumbled into the commander. That and an inferno should be able to see that it destroyed a building.

Otherwise, there is too much information right now.

- Radar structures should be repurposed to a remote sight installation, with vision around that of a vanilla scout. Not sure about advanced and satellites; area for experimentation.
    - Scouts should have more vision than a standard unit, but still be primarily radar. Their radar might even get a slight increase over vanilla sight, since the information is lower resolution.
    - Commander has scout-quality vision and radar.
    - Most base structures are about right - bastion of light in a dark world.
    - Possibly turrets and other structures that are commonly built outside the base should be mostly radar.
  5. sleepykid12

sleepykid12 New Member

Thanks for your thoughts.
    • I like the idea of having a horror feel.
    • I am going to add a boom-bot kind of vision to all units soon.
    • I am still fiddling with the radars. I am not sure what sort of function I want them to have. I was considering them be a remote sight installation, or maybe to have the t2 radar like the current t1 radar and have the t1 radar to be the remote sight. As I said, still fiddling.
    • I was considering changing the scouts to have less vision and more radar. They do show a lot at the moment. I might change them so you will need multiple scouts in your armies - like at different corners - so that you can get enough vision.
    • I see your point about turrets and structures outside the base to be mostly radar. I will make mexes definitely be mainly radar. At the moment it shows way too much.
    Edit: Added the boom-bot vision. Radar's radar reduced. Land scout vision reduced, radar increased. Air scout vision reduced greatly, but given increased speed. Still testing these changes, will probably change at some point.
    Last edited: November 9, 2014
    wondible likes this.
  6. wondible

Awesome.

I may actually like mex to have vision, little points of light representing the known world.
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Removed from PAMM; re-enable if no localization errors occur.