[Rel] And Death Shall Have No Dominion

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by bsergent, January 15, 2015.

1. bsergent

bsergent Active Member

Update: It would appear this mod is soon to be fully obviated and replaced by upcoming GW changes and the save system.

I am super happy about this as I consider it a happy ending to my first mod :)

Thanks everyone :)

Citation: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/pte-build-82484-pte-is-up-now.68951/

Mod title: "And Death Shall Have No Dominion"
    Mod Function: Provides the ability to fight to the death in GW without having to quit before your commander explodes.

-=Some behavior and usage notes.=-

When you win you have to save and exit manually to get the game to end, at which point the game is recorded as a victory.

Sometimes it kicks you back to the map on death. (Possibly due to the fact that this fight was with a game ender. Last faction leader?)

If you are kicked back to the map after a defeat and exit without retrying that annihilates the save. As in saving and exiting at the gw map, after dying and being kicked back to the map, but not being asked to abandon the war when clicking return to war.

If it asks you to abandon this war when you hit return to war, it will annihilate your save if you say yes. If you want to retry select "goto main menu" and then resume from there.

Simply closing the window on the "you have been annihilated" message screen also works.

Sometimes you get kicked back out to GW after dying.

I'm told the method I used here was really bad. Happy to implement it in a new way, no idea how to do it differently.

Thanks to SXX :)

Repeat, this is my first mod, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

My goal is to make it impossible to get your save (or whatever) annihlated unless you clicked abandon war. As sloppy as this is it pretty much accomplishes that, for me anyway.

Steam discussion link FWIW: http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/0/624076851330731622/#p2
    Last edited: June 4, 2015
    thetrophysystem, stuart98 and xankar like this.
  2. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Took me a while to find this - finally thought to search and found the older date. ;^)

Yeah, I try to reserve shadowing files as a last resort. Of course if you're just getting started anything that you can get to work is often your only resort :) The issues you describe certainly makes it sound like it's not an ideal situation.

Here is something to try instead:

Make a scene mod (a file listed in modinfo - look at most UI mods for examples) to gw_game_over with one line:

Code:
    model.lose = function() {}
    bsergent likes this.
  3. bsergent

bsergent Active Member

Thank you very much for your help! I'm going to pm you for a clarification, I'm assuming that's ok :)

Edit: Updated as per your method. On death behavior so far seems equivalent, but your way of doing it is much better.

I'll be testing more later :)
    Last edited: January 16, 2015
  4. bsergent

bsergent Active Member

Tests done:
    I did a quick test and suicide, and from the annihilated menu hit return to war and it asked me if I wanted to abandon, so I canceled and then went to main menu. The annihilated save was still active and could be resumed. (equivalent to old situation)

I did the same thing again only selected return to war and told it yes when it asked if I wanted to abandon. That annihilated the save. But the save was not recorded in archived wars.

I wonder if the new method prevents losses from being recorded, it would seem logical to assume so from the line of code that I totally don't understand hehe.

I'm regarding that as a feature not a bug. :) It's more in keeping with the death of death theme of the mod :)
  5. trialq

trialq Post Master General

bsergent likes this.
  6. bsergent

bsergent Active Member

7. bsergent

bsergent Active Member