Reducing wall HP?

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by Tripod27, February 6, 2015.

1. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

I saw a post somewhere here asking about how commander explosions don't knock down walls, and that reminded me of something that's bugged me about this game for ages

Why the hell are walls so damn strong? I mean it takes like half a second to put up a block, and 20 seconds of focused fire from 20 tanks to take it down.

After a wall is created you almost never see it get destroyed, since the things have insane amounts of health like they're made unobtanium or something to the point where even after you take the area by going around, reclaiming the walls with a single fabber would take way less time than having your entire army shoot at them

I mean could you at least bring their HP down to the point where they get taken out by comm deaths? The worst that could happen is hearing game casters jizz their pants at double wall strats more often

Is there a reason that they're so strong compared to how quickly they go up that I'm missing?
    Planktum likes this.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well fabbers are squchy, and walls are small immobile blocks.

If they don't have the HP, then what's the point?
    nateious likes this.
  3. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

Last I checked, most of the buildings around the old Chernobyl plant never got knocked down.....
    So I don't see why walls built to withstand constant fire should die to a single blast.... Is my thought?
  4. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

I never said remove all the HP, but right now they feel way too durable for how little time they take to get up.

I'd personally like the health cut in half so if your army of 100 tanks ran into a single block thick wall, it wouldn't be such a massive game changer compared to how cheap it was to set up
    Planktum likes this.
  5. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

Honestly I'm thinking the other way around to nerf walls- make them require twice as much metal as they do now. I like the HP they have and the way they create actual barriers for armies. Increasing the metal cost makes them take longer to put up and reclaim as well, and they currently don't cost much so doubling the metal won't make them take that much longer to put up.
  6. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

I think over a whole game that'd minimally impact gameplay. I'd run with doubling metal cost.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Personally Id double if not triple their physical size.
    Planktum and Tripod27 like this.
  8. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

I would like that, but only if they take longer to build as well or you could wall off places way too quickly
    Planktum likes this.
  9. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

If combat fabber range is increased, this problem could go away by putting them on patrol as you near the wall (assuming patrol = auto-reclaim). Walls reclaim almost instantly.
  10. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Patrol doesn't auto reclaim. Even if you were using the reclaim command, that command doesn't auto reclaim live units though, so that's still a poor fix unless the reclaim command gets improved.
  11. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Someone mentioned in a stream that @tvinita was toying with the idea of making walls block shots from either team/side. I find this idea intriguing and am curious to see it tried in a PTE patch. It might not work out at all, but it might also fix some of the problems with walls.
    stuart98 likes this.
  12. trilioth

trilioth Member

No.

The whole point of the new model in the PTE was to convey the fact that your units can shoot through your walls.
    nateious likes this.