Rate the game

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by trialq, September 23, 2014.

?

Rate PA out of 10

Poll closed September 30, 2014.
  1. 1

8 vote(s)
    4.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

4 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. 4

11 vote(s)
    5.5%
  5. 5

8 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. 6

33 vote(s)
    16.5%
  7. 7

67 vote(s)
    33.5%
  8. 8

48 vote(s)
    24.0%
  9. 9

11 vote(s)
    5.5%
  10. 10

10 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. trialq

trialq Post Master General

The poll has closed with 200 votes. The mean score is 6.77, the median and modal scores are both 7.

This popped into my head as perhaps one of the only uses of polls on this forum, where the choices are on a scale and all the responses can be amalgamated. Apologies if it's been done already, I don't follow the general discussion sub-forum. For clarity, the higher the number the better you rate the game. 1 is coaster status, 10 is perfection, everything else is somewhere in between (however you interpret that).

I've set the vote to close after 7 days, to get a snapshot of 'round about now'.
    Last edited: September 30, 2014
    thelordofthenoobs likes this.
  2. iron71

iron71 Member

I sort-of rounded up to 7 because right now I consider the game a 6.5 out of 10. It's a great base game and is fun to play but it's still missing features (offline, unit cannon, improved galactic war, better biomes, ect.). Also two of the four layers within this game are currently near useless or severely underused and unfinished *coughnavalandorbitalcough*. I guess we'll just have to be patient and wait for these features to be added in :p
    Remy561 and websterx01 like this.
  3. Devak

Devak Post Master General

i gave it a 1 because it's unplayable for me. I know the features et all, but the point of a game is that you can play it. And if you can't play it, that defeats the point of owning it.

i'll wait for some future patch
  4. c4ptainpronin

c4ptainpronin Active Member

7. Its fun already and its a breath of fresh air for the rts genre, but there is a lot wrong with it still.
    The metal planet for example is still completly broken, orbital is not realy good, navy should be avoided at all costs and the balancing is not where it should be.
    But there is a lot of good stuff that i wanted to see in a game for a long time. It would habe been a 9/10 if they had taken 2 more months to improve some stuff and fix out the server slowdowns, but whatever, as long as it gets there at some point in the future im happy.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I guess you've probably already gone over this but what exactly is preventing you from playing?

Edit: Sorry I'd forgotten that thread! I've made a few suggestions Devak.

Edit edit: I voted 8 as I believe in taking things as you find them- for me the game is running really well and I'm enjoying it loads. I don't really play single player so the 'missing' features don't really effect me much. Things I want to see is further balance tweaks (naval!) and orbital fleshing out a bit more + continued server side performance improvements.
    Last edited: September 23, 2014
    squishypon3 likes this.
  6. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Wait a second. Someone has actually used the forum poll feature correctly. I think the world may actually be coming to an end. Like, literally.

:)
    Devak, Obscillesk, Remy561 and 11 others like this.
  7. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Rated 7 aswell - all the problems that prevent it from being a ten are obvious and have been discussed a million times...
  8. stonberg

stonberg Member

7.5 ;-) Well, 7 as I couldn't quite give it an 8 yet...despite the enormous grin factor.
  9. trialq

trialq Post Master General

It took immense restraint to refrain from adding "Over 9000" and "Bacon" to the poll ;)
  10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

or Obi Wan Kenobi

good on you, I couldn't have resisted. I'm just too childish.
  11. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Can confirm. Pig just flew past my window.
    pizwitch, Remy561, reptarking and 4 others like this.
  12. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Oh you did? Can you get it back for me? Testing cybernetic rockets...
    squishypon3 likes this.
  13. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

7. Good game, great concept. Still enjoyable but needs work.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  14. cdrkf

Announcement just in from Uber everyone who rated the game 8 or higher gets a free commander skin from the store...*

*this information may not be accurate
  15. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

I'd say 8 or 7.
    There is no game I'd rate 10 tho. Every game I played has something I don't like about it.
  16. Aliessil

Aliessil Active Member

Ironically right now I'd give StarCraft 2 a higher rating than PA, and yet I'd much rather play this ..

Guess I just avoid the things which would bring the score down; the rest is a helluva lot of fun! :)
  17. cdrkf

That sounds like a strange argument...? On what are you basing your rating then?

I would say it's fair to judge something from your own perspective, just because other people dislike things doesn't mean you have to lower your own score?
  18. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

I can't enjoy the game, at all. I find it incredibly boring. It's unfinished and lacks a TON of features. Galactic War is an abomination. I am especially concerned with the poor UI. I couldn't care less about new units. If the UI was better (at least Fa level) that'd be something. I like the innovative approach and some cool features like Chronocam and area commands but hate the execution. 4/10
    cmdandy and Zainny like this.
  19. Aliessil

Aliessil Active Member

I'm basing my rating on the features that are / are not in the game. I feel there's no choice but to lower the score with the current state of naval, the lack of decent transports, the fact that sometimes it feels like it doesn't matter which units you build, terrain having minimal impact on tactics ...

But on the flip side, what you can already do with the game is just immense fun! Multi-planet systems are fantastic fun so long as there's a metal planet and/or a couple of halley-able moons, but can get really tedious if you have neither. Without them you have to rely on nukes (hello anti-nukes), assaults of one transport per unit, or trying to break in with orbital fabbers trying to build gateways/anchors to establish a beachhead.

That's the thing - for me, the best games PA can offer beat anything that other games can manage. The places where PA is lacking *has* to bring the rating down, but you can still cherry-pick the best parts and have an absolute blast.

[edit] Actually, I can sum it up in a single sentence - when it was released, SC2 *felt* finished; PA doesn't. I'm okay with that, it's why I bought the beta access. I'm 100% sure the game will get better and better over time.
    Last edited: September 23, 2014
    cmdandy and cdrkf like this.
  20. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Right now an 8 for fun with 1vs1 and modding.
    cdrkf likes this.