Ranked Ladder?!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Twinstar, November 26, 2014.

1. Twinstar

Twinstar Active Member

Hey Uber seriously?
    This ladder is a joke. If someone is UBER it means NOTHING, because if this:
    Right now 26.11.2014 (16:15 GMT+1)

UBER: 48
    PLAT: 31
    GOLD: 15
    SILVER: 13
    BRONZE: 8

PA Ranked.png

41% of your ranked playerbase is UBER

Shouldn't be the system make sure that only the best of the best are in UBER? So that most of the players are ranked lower like in LoL?
    LoL Ranked.jpg

The system now is like in the kindergarden, where they only play games in which all can win.
    kryovow likes this.
  2. Twinstar

Twinstar Active Member

tl;dr: being UBER have to be something special
  3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I know, it doesn't make sense. Let's wait for a response from Ub- oh wait.
  4. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

The ladder is less than a day old. It's barely even started being populated. If your graph still looks like that after 1-2 months then by all means come back and complain about it. But this is extremely premature.
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

It is like that, because a huge percent of the would-be bronzes aren't ranked at all. If they were, they would outnumber the Uber.

That being said, a few low percent can feed the few high percent 5 wins, and the rank is based solely off ratio and not weighted by how good your opponent was. If you win 5, even 5 bad games and the 5 never place, then you are Uber regardless.

To change this, they would need to grade people based off who they beat and that player's rank. Thus, to be an Uber, you need to beat many platinums or a few other Ubers, you can't just beat a sheer mass volume of bronzes...

Also...
  6. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Since we dont know what ladder algorithm is used we cant tell if this will get better.

The PTE ladder didn't seem to get better.
  7. jtibble

jtibble Active Member

I don't think there are enough people playing the PTE to say whether it got better or not. You stomped me in one of my 5 ranking matches and I ended up in bronze... but after playing 2 more matches I moved up to Silver. I think once we get more people playing the ladder it will even out, but it's hard to judge from just the PTE sampling.
    Quitch likes this.
  8. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Currently they seem to be going for an even distribution in each league. Instead it should probably be more like [ 25% - 25, 25% - 25, 25% - 25, 25% - 25, 100]. This would leave every league even except the Uber league, with just 100 players at any time.
  9. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

PTE and stable were using different matchmaking queues but the same ladder.
  10. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Yes but IIRC the old stable ladder had the same issue.
  11. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

this makes complete sense. Think about it: What kind of player is most likely to be ranked less than 24h after a reset? The casual bronze player? The competitive uber player?
    It makes perfect sense that Uber players are far more active and are far more likely to complete 5 games to be put into a league within 24h.
    Clopse, mjshorty, zihuatanejo and 3 others like this.
  13. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

The numbers they gave us for PTE suggested not, rather the largest population should be in silver. The issue is people in placement are ranked, but don't show in the stats, though they do count for distribution.
    mered4 likes this.
  14. mered4

The old ladder also had this problem. About a third of folks were UBER.
  15. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

IIRC, each of the tiers in the old ladder had roughly an equal number of players in it.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  16. mered4

~280 for Uber and ~170 -> ~220 for the rest if I remember correctly.
  17. Quitch

It was an equal number of visible players, not an equal number of players.
  18. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I don't mean the fact that only the top 10 were shown :p. I just recall checking the counts once or twice and they were roughly the same. I'm not active on the ladder though, so take other peoples' word over mine .
  19. Quitch

This was clarified at the time that individuals who hadn't completed placement were contributing to league distribution. There were a lot more players in silver than were shown, but they didn't complete placement and so weren't included in the count.
  20. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Yeah assuming this is using some kind of basic forecasting model, the number of players is just too low right now for the system to stablize. It's going to take some time, and probably some serious user growth before this works right. Just pure speculation.