Random Crashes

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Disalign, October 3, 2015.

1. Disalign

Disalign Member

for some reason during every single game i've played recently, the game just crashes for no reason. any time i try to rejoin, i only stay in for a second before it crashes again.

Edit: When I rejoin, some of the planets that I need to be on happen to be not loaded at all, and when I hover over them to figure out that they are broken it crashes my game.
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

What OS are you on? If Mac or Linux, which version and what graphics driver? If Windows, could you make a DxDiag.txt? You can make one by pressing <WinKey>+R, typing "dxdiag", and pressing "Save All Information...". You can upload the resulting file here using the "Upload a File" button on this forum.
  3. Disalign

Disalign Member

I am on Windows 10, here is my DxDiag.txt

Attached Files:

4. DeathByDenim

Hmm, that all looks fine. Can you check the following list of software that is known to cause crashes?
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/2/558751813508748383/

Also, could you upload a PA log of a crash? You'll find those logs in "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\log". Just copy-paste that location in the address bar of Explorer. You'll find a whole bunch of logs there. The easiest way to get one with a crash is to just delete them all and then start PA and make it crash.
  5. Disalign

Disalign Member

pretty sure its this one..

Attached Files:

6. DeathByDenim

Wow, did you download every mod in existence? ;)

Could you try to run a few games while launching PA with the --nomods parameter? That will disable the loading of mods. You can do that by right clicking on PA in Steam and go to Properties -> Set Launch Options and enter --nomods there.
  7. Disalign

Disalign Member

a lot of those mods are disabled though..
    I guess I'll try it.
  8. Disalign

Disalign Member

Well, I ran one game with the --nomods parameter, and it simply crashed on me in the exact same way it has all the other times.
    log:

Attached Files:

9. DeathByDenim

Ah, well, it was good to rule that out anyway. Annoyingly, your logs just stop right in the middle without generating a proper crash report, which makes it hard to figure out what is going on. So we'll have to go through some common causes for crashes. First, did you check the list of incompatible software I linked you earlier?

The next step would be to try a clean boot to rule out any other software not on that list (yet). Instructions for that can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/

Try scanning your systems files with the SFC tool that comes with windows. Instructions are here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

I've also been looking at the crash reports in your DxDiag.txt and some of them seem to have to do with stackhash errors, which can be caused by Data Execution Prevention. You could try disabling that for PA to see if that helps. To do so, go to Start -> Settings. In Find Settings, type "Advanced" and click on "View advanced system settings". Go to the Advanced tab and click on the "Settings..." button in the Performance section. Go to the tab "Data Execution Prevention" and select "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except for the ones I select:". Then add PA from the bin_x64 directory to the list of exceptions.
  10. Disalign

Disalign Member

For the last one, it does not allow me to set DEP for that program, or it doesnt allow the DEP for 64bit executables.
    I know I dont have any conflicting software,
    and if it helps the crash report, when i hover over a planet in the upper right drop down menu (without it being dropped down) the planet isnt loaded, with no terrain or anything, and when I click on it (edit, it happen s without clicking too), the game instantly crashes.
    I assume this is something with the game not knowing where to take me, since the planet isnt loaded? (Metal spots are, however, loaded.)
    Last edited: October 9, 2015
  11. Disalign

Disalign Member

also, when PA needs to load a lobby or system, it takes much longer than i would expect (on minimum settings), usually becoming unresponsive for 10 or so seconds.
  12. DeathByDenim

Oh, right. It's hardcoded for 64-bit programs... Forgot about that. Anyway, try the other two suggestions first and see if those help. They might take a while to run though.

Yeah, that's normal. It starts generating the planet the moment you load the lobby (or system), so that takes a lot of processing power.
  13. Disalign

Disalign Member

Except im on absolute minimum settings for PA.. and my computer isnt a pushover, so doesnt it seem abnormal that it takes that long..?
    Ill get back to you on the other two options
  14. Disalign

Disalign Member

Also, how do I check what software I have and or currently am running to compare to the list of compatibility issues?
  15. DeathByDenim

Meh, I have a quad core 2.2 GHz CPU and 24GB of RAM. Takes a pretty long time for me too. Creating planets is hard work, I guess. :)

Easiest is probably to press Start and type the name of the program in the search box. But almost all of it is software that you would have installed yourself, I think. You can also check "add/remove software" in the Windows Control Panel.