Quirks affecting competitive play

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by underscore1112, September 30, 2015.

1. underscore1112

underscore1112 Member

I had posted a thread detailing several issues that arise which severely limit how how seriousl the game can be played detailed here. The seems to not be recieving the needed attention https://forums.uberent.com/threads/game-breaking-bugs.70558/

I would like to start out this discussion with this: when you left or right click the same time as inputting a selection for a group of units such as control groups, the game will blatantly ignore the action to recall the group od units. This is why all you high apm players find your commander walking for aparent no reason quite often... It was not user error.

This is only the figurehead of reasons that prevent many community veterans from taking competitive play seriously. If this issue isnt resolved or at the very least addressed, this may be the reason i say farewell to you all and stream a different game.

Edited title. I'm being honest, not trying to be a troll, sorry.
    Last edited: October 1, 2015
  2. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

Do you have any mods installed?
  3. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I don't get any of these issues, and I play competitively...
    cptconundrum likes this.
  4. underscore1112

underscore1112 Member

I have not tried without mods. I will see if removing cover the line makes a difference. Only conflict i can think of.
  5. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

Annihiliater, You make a good point about the 1v1 scene needing some love (Orbital maps uber pls)

As a player who has watched quiet a few games generally it's very rare for players with high APM to blindly send their coms some where. Usually it's in their mind intentional but may seem very bizarre. Personally I can only recall I think 3 times when the player has said "oh woops didn't mean to do that :p " or something.

That being said if there is a bug then make sure uber sees it so it can be patched :)
  6. underscore1112

underscore1112 Member

I checked and confirmed it for myself running no mods. Indeed if at any point you are pressing right click, you will be unable to recall control groups or other types of units. This is high cause for concern for anyone who wants to play the game competitively.
  7. n00n

n00n Active Member

I don't see the issue, it seems like the intended behaviour.

There's also a bug where rapid selection will just get the commander added for some reason.

A day ago I had a game that was over in the first seconds due to this — I blocked a mex with my first factory so quickly selected and deleted it only to find my commanded had been added the selection (something that should not even be possible to even have selected at the same time).
    Last edited: October 1, 2015
    andreasgg and cptconundrum like this.
  8. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

I tried to reproduce this one, back when you posted this.
    I could only get something like trailing selects when I used PAStats and high loads (like 800 dox moving all over the place). Back then it looked like the probability increases with load, so PAStats may not be the cause but just put more load on my system. But I couldn't trace it down to get a clear repo.

From my perspective this looks like something is wonky in the input handling.
    n00n likes this.
  9. underscore1112

underscore1112 Member

Whether or not it is a design decision, during micro intense situations involving fast clicking and multiple control groups, the game will ignore inputs. So even if you react flawlessly, you will gety a set of orders you did not intend because the game will drop recalling orders. I've noticed that this also happens when trying to fire an uber cannon with a hotkey while premptively clicking a target. you will left click the ground, and the game will blatantly ignore the hotkey. Surely this cannot be intentional.
    This effectively limits a players EPM, especially for those of us who actively micro multiple groups of units across the map at once.
  10. FrequentPilgrim

FrequentPilgrim New Member

*cross-posting this from the Support thread so that the discussion is consolidated here.

I've got 2 bugs and a controls grievance to report

First Bug - Sometimes my screen gets stuck when I've select a unit and I can not longer use my keyboard buttons to move my camera around. This is only fixed by de-selecting whatever I have selected. Not sure if this also happens if you use the Middle Mouse button to move your camera. It's frustrating because it really messes your flow up when issuing commands. Especially when your telling multiple idle fabbers to build something then build something else far away. Now if you click away from those fabbers you can't easily re-select them since they are no longer idle. Happens about once every 2 matches.

Second Bug - Sometimes my cursor gets stuck as a building and will not go back to normal. For instance it becomes the white outline for building a Pgen I lose all control on my army as nothing responds when my cursor is stuck as a Pgen. Nothing is select-able or clickable. ESC key doesn't resolve it. it will eventually resolve itself after a while and I haven't figured out why yet. takes anywhere from 5 seconds to 1 minute. Very frustrating when you lose a match because of it. Possibly caused by a Mod but I don't know which might cause it. Doesn't happen that frequently but devastating because you go idle while it is in effect.

Third, the controls grievance - the Camera hotkeys for moving your camera around are modified into zooming commands by pressing the CONTROL key. This is a major issue for keyboard camera operators since CONTROL is such a heavy utilized key for commanding your units. I need to CONTROL + Click a lot to send the command to move to a point as fast as possible. Also Control shows essential range information for units. But if I ever press WASD (my camera buttons) and CONTROL then I zoom in or out to an unusable perspective of the ground or the sun. I just want my camera to be unaffected by a key that is used for 2 other essential features so that I don't have to be hyper-diligent about my camera buttons all the time. For comparison, imagine if CONTROL also modified the middle mouse button in the same way. Try to rotate the globe causing extreme zooms because the CONTROL key was being pressed. It would be rubbish. The current setup is rubbish. Please let CONTROL not affect my camera at all.

*Things that don't bother me as much but I feel should be mentioned
    -Shouldn't there be hotkeys for Select All Orbital Factories, Select All orbital Units, Select all Advanced factories. It's strange that there are buttons that are clickable on screen for things which don't have a dedicated hotkey option.
  11. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I have problems with the alt fire one, but just when I click it once, but that was due to me changing my keyboard from English to Norwegian so the "/" I use moves elsewhere.

My apm is pretty high and I never experience any problems with selection issues. I do remember a selection bug before using control groups but that was fixed on my end.

Usually when you are the only one having a problem in this game it is most likely on your end. Have you any conflicts in the key settings? Say if I use the s key for stop and mex, it won't come up as a conflict but when I try build a mex with a fabber it's a lottery, on what happens.
    cdrkf likes this.
  12. andreasgg

andreasgg Well-Known Member

I am experiencing a lot of this bugs as well.

1. The N3ON bug... I get it once in 15 games. My commander just decides to walk of in the early stages due to (I think) my deselection not registering.

2. The game just decides to not registering my micro. This happens mostly for me when I am controlling the air. I have my select all air hot on "q", and sometimes i have to hit it 2-5 times before it selects my air. Often I am doing other stuff in the meantime like moving camera etc. It is weird. (I dont have anything else on q)

* I also get the bug from time to time where the screen is locked/ aka can't move camera. It usually takes me 10 sek to get rid of. It messes your workflow up
    FrequentPilgrim and n00n like this.
  13. lordathon

lordathon Active Member

For me the only way to bring PA on a competitive scene is no slow -mo...
    g0hstreaper likes this.
  14. ljfed

ljfed Active Member

The problems I have are laggy controls and not registering key inputs. The lag can get quite frustrating but I think get a lot of lag because my computer is a pile of ****, as people I watch don't seem to have the same issues. Now that I think of it sometimes my key inputs don't register. I don't know when it happens but it definitely happens (though rarely).

Also something annoying that I've noticed is lag between placing a building and it showing up in your build queue. When you place the building it disappears for a second before it reappears in the build queue. Sometimes it takes a while to reappear so i have to guess where it was placed and try not to place the next building on top of it. I don't know if this happens to other people or it is just my crap computer.
  15. elodea

elodea Post Master General

@ljfed
    yea, that lag is because it's checking with the server whether its a valid placement before updating your queue.

The ui has problems for sure.

Along with the above posters, some other ones i experienced
    - Can't shift queue a patrol order after a move order - deselects the unit instead of something strange
    - If you press shift to queue an order, drag circle some metals, but lift up shift midway, it will destroy your queue and behave as if you had ordered the units to circle the metal (different behaviour from previously)
    - deselecting ping with right click will actually spawn a ping, instead of deselecting it.
    - sometimes units just don't select even though you are pressing the control group or selection key. I don't know the repro.
    -Also, the player end game screen shows apm inclusive of auto factory. To see your real player apm you need to go to pa stats.
  16. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

17. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

In the heat of the battle when my apm usually spikes i sometimes have problems with select/deselect and i experienced the neon bug a few times. I think this only happens in highly competitive games where there are a lot of commands being send from both you and the enemy in little time. For some reason i don't have these problems in big slow FFAS or commboxing and it really happens to me only in high competitive fights.
    n00n likes this.
  18. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Consider changing the troll click bait title so the devs won't mind participating. Threats don't help the cause either.
  19. ljfed

ljfed Active Member

That reminds me, what exactly does the in game apm counter actually count? I get, say, 150 on pa stats and only about 70 in game.
  20. wondible

wondible Post Master General

The game counts commands issued, PA Stats counts UI events like clicks and keys; it might take multiple events to issue a command, and others might be unrelated to commands.
    ljfed likes this.