Questions Total Annihilation

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by DeathToARM, September 20, 2013.

1. DeathToARM

DeathToARM New Member

I had some questions about TAs setting.
    How did core patterning work in TA? I think it used the nanolathe to replace cells with nanites is this right?
    Are the total annihilation galactic war reports canon?
    The Commanders in TA were tech level 10 even the Krogoth was just tech level 2, so at the height of the war what were tech level 10 kbots, tanks and the like capable of?
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

LordQ, igncom1 and cwarner7264 like this.
  3. comham

comham Active Member

Core Patterning was an upload of your mind to a computer. See Mind uploading on wikipedia.

Afaik the only official canon for TA was the intro cinematic and the campaign inbetweens. Very, very broad strokes. Everything else is fanfic.

I've never heard of tech level 10 before. The krogoth is generally referred to as tech level 3, since it's made by a factory that can only be built by an adv. construction unit. Tech level 10 units would have a million nuclear missile machineguns or something stupidly overpowered like in a bad fanfic.
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

TA had a manual that explained a lot of the lore stuff.
  5. comham

comham Active Member

I remember reading my TA manual a lot, and a friends before I got the game, but oddly I don't remember anything actually in it except the error where it said The Can was armed with a plasma cannon.
  6. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Most of the lore was crammed into the glossary in the back of the original manual.

The TA universe takes place at the end of a 4K year war, with "both sides ruined beyond repair". So in addition to fighting over dead ideals and lost civilizations, most of their ability to escalate the war is now gone. No new commanders, no new death star worlds (except the last one), no new gates or space fleets, stagnated tech development, and stuff like that.

The tech 10 thing is just like... a number. It merely serves to show that the Commander is highly unique, very special, and almost impossible to create. Much of the Commander's tech was unique to the Commander itself, designed for a singular purpose of conquering worlds via the galactic gate. Succeeding at gate conquest meant packing the absolute best tech that ~1000 tons of chassis can possibly fit. Perhaps the only facility that could have created new Commanders was Core Prime, a metal world dedicated entirely to the Core consciousness.