[Question] Importing a "skin wrap" animated model

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by swizzlewizzle, October 23, 2014.

1. swizzlewizzle

swizzlewizzle Active Member

For those who don't know, skin wrap is basically a way to have multiple objects in 3ds max animate a single merged object.

The models I am trying to bring over are generally made out of 3-5 separate objects. Unfortunately, when I merge the objects via converting them to editable polys and attaching them, they lose their animation. However, if I clone the objects, then merge them and apply a "skin wrap" modifier, the merged object's vertexes follow the separate objects animations.

However, I am unsure how to bring this into PA. Does the FBX export bring in the animation of the skin wrapped object somehow? I know that to bring an animation into PA, we bring the bones in basically, but i'm worried that those bones will not "stick" to the merged object I am currently using (PA only supports the .papa being a single unified object) as the model .papa.

Any thoughts from those with a bit more experience? (I literally started using 3ds max a week and a half ago)

*Edit: Basically i'm using a point cache to animate the mesh instead of the bones.... any ideas how I can use the bones on a merged object??
    Last edited: October 23, 2014
  2. swizzlewizzle

swizzlewizzle Active Member

Answering my own question:

Instead of producing a point cache, you can use the "convert to skin" option. This will automatically assign bones to the merged object and you can delete the old multi-object mesh. Congrats, now you have a single object, with the animation, to export out to FBX for PA.

**One thing though.. right now my problem is that one piece of the model (the sword) does not use any of the bones... it doesn't have a "skin" modifier at all. So what happens is that if I merge it's mesh with the skinned mesh.. it then starts to use the bones' weight and the sword "warps" to follow some of the bones.

Any idea how I can merge the sword into the other object without it warping during animation?

**Edit: Add a "weapon" bone that simply follows the main skeleton, add a "skin" modifier to the sword and then skin wrap a fully merged object from that
    Last edited: October 23, 2014