Question about how long should it take to open a game?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by spardaknight, June 8, 2013.

1. spardaknight

spardaknight New Member

Yeah ive been waiting for about 5min now and all it says is starting game..... how long should it take to get past this point usualy?
  2. Oblob

Oblob New Member

i get the same problem but when i eventually get into the game, the com has already been placed and i cant select it and build any units.

Edit: when i finally load into the game after 5 or so mins of waiting this is what it looks like
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: June 8, 2013
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

At this moment everybody get their keys so servers overloaded. You need to wait for some time before Uber run more servers.
  4. spardaknight

spardaknight New Member

well see now the game finnaly loads now but when i go in, it says to place my commander, and once i do, i cant do anything ( i know you have to wait till eveyone places their commander) but i ask ppl in the game and they say that they are already playing. Plz help because i have done 3 games so far all with this same result.
  5. Oblob

Oblob New Member

exact same problem i get
  6. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Alpha is alpha it's a point of keep trying and report it as a bug or find the same report and vote for it's attention would be good advice.
  7. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

While the planet is currently the same every time you play, it is still going through the process of dynamically generating it every time. The game client receives the planet spec from the server and then the client builds it.

Right now this can still be very slow, especially on old computers.

There is currently a two minute time out on selecting a landing zone for your commander. If your client takes longer than that to finish building the planet it will auto select a region.

However, there's an issue right now that long delays like that can cause the client to get out of sync with the server so you may be watching the game several minutes behind where the game actually is.
    Try pressing the END key once you get in game, that will sync the client time back up with the server. You should have full control over your commander again after that. Technically you probably had full control before that too, but since you were viewing the past you had no way of knowing.

For those waiting several minutes to start a game, please post your system information.
  8. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

What you describe is pretty much exactly what happens on both my rigs.

PC:
    i5-750@3.3Ghz
    4GB RAM
    HD5770

Laptop:
    i7-3610QM
    8GB RAM
    HD4000 & GT650M (Optimus)
  9. king23sun

king23sun New Member

I get long load times too
    My specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (3.2GHz)
    GPU: HD 5870
    RAM : 16GB

Sometimes takes 5 - 15 min to load
  10. spardaknight

spardaknight New Member

im still having this problem with 5-10 min loads as well

i7 3630qm 2.4gz
    16 gigs of ram
    video card gtx 670m
  11. spardaknight

spardaknight New Member

btw windows 8 forgot to mention that
  12. spardaknight

spardaknight New Member

13. spardaknight

spardaknight New Member

now PA wont load at all it just stays stuck at creating game for damn near 20min, and never does anything, i even tryed closing it and using the reconnect function with no luck, just says login accepted.

specs

i7 3630qm 2.4ghz
    16 gigs of ram
    gtx 670m
    windows 8
  14. sur5or

sur5or New Member

I get the same problem, and I've found the only way to actually play the game is to restart after starting the match and then reconnect.
  15. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

This has gotten worse in v49303.
    Currently sitting at 11 mins and counting...

Also I notice my systems is far from being taxed, CPU (i5-750@3.3Ghz) hasn't got higher than 9% and memory usage is only ~125Mb, is this normal during loading?

In the past it did that for a little while then CPU utilisation, and esp. memory, would rocket up shortly prior to the game getting going.
  16. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

What is your network connection like? Maybe it's still downloading the planet data?
  17. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

I'm on WiMax, so it fluctuates, 3Mbit/s tends to be the minimum.
    I'll run a speed test next time to check.

Thing is it has never taken this long to load in the past.
    Incidentally I gave up after 15mins.

Short-term, is there any debug commands I could run to show download progress?
    Longer-term, I'm sure it's already on your (long) list, but something in UI would be good idea.
  18. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

You can press ~ and look at the log (you'll have to scroll it down with the scroll bar) and see if it shows something interesting.
  19. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

After changing my region to "Australia" in v49455, not seen that option before, I got a game up and running in 45s. :)

I then tried it with US Central again and was back to waiting 5+ mins before I gave up.

My ISP's speed test had me at 2Mbit/s to them and I'd been downloading the client update at ~100KB/s from you immediately prior.
  20. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

add hard drive and recently checked internet speed