Pushing asteroids into orbit

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by foolery, March 1, 2013.

1. foolery

foolery New Member

At the moment, the only 2 navigation options for natural bodies in space seem to be standing still and crashing into another natural body in space. I think it would be a great idea to turn a medium-sized asteroid into a satellite around another body. Maybe you'd only be able to do it around planets, or perhaps multiple size-levels of natural bodies would allow for nested orbits--
    meteoroids and comets can orbit asteroids or large comets, which can orbit moons and planetoids, which can orbit planets, which can orbit gas giants. Any smaller size class can orbit a larger size class, that sort of thing.
    Further, it should be possible to create a synchronous orbit over a certain point on the planet, or an alignment orbit to block a path of transit from one planet to another.
    Basically, it's space combat without ships. It occurred to me that I had taken this concept as a given but that's not necessarily the case. WHADDYA SAY, DEVELOPERS?
  2. Pluisjen

Pluisjen Member

I do remember hearing a few things about turning asteroids into battlestations, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is going to be in there, but I do think it'd be an interesting idea for sure.
  3. foolery

foolery New Member

All that the "asteroids as battlestations" concept requires is that the asteroids hold still. This is more like "asteroids as supercarriers".
  4. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Its been said in a interview that you will be able to move astroids and moons into orbit around planets.

So that much is confirmed (atleast i choose to see info given by Uber in a interview as confirmed content).

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/15/plane ... interview/

5. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

its really a lot more like Ye old naval battles, you wait all day for your orbits to almost cross and just as you pass each other you bombard them with your broadside.

of course the functionality of changing orbits... is practically impossible due to the MASSIVE number of variables involved. declaring a target point and executing is far more within scope.