1. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

As I said in the comments, one of the biggest complaints I'm hearing from people is about the art style. I don't know how much you are planning on changing it (I know it's just a visualization), but some official info (with some art of possible) would generate more positive vibes.

Also, marketing department needs to think of ways to get the word out more, there's only so much I can do by posting it on every forum I visit. Maybe contacting Total Biscuit or other big youtube videogame celebs about doing a promo vid (like NerdCubed did)?
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I am guessing that they will do some more updates and stuff over the next week. Even the guys at Uber will probably not work the whole weekend to make publicity.
    Also: I like the Art like this. Reminds me so much of TA.
  3. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

I like the art too, it's mostly about the terrain though I think. The terrain needs a more classic TA/Supcom feel in my opinion. The units and structures are fine though.
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

The Art Style needs to stay, it's one of the things that will set apart PA from the rank and file of RTSes. It's Distinctive, Stimulating, allows for identification at a glance, simple and yet subtly detailed.......

And the most important, it's cheap compared to many other possible styles!

Also worth noting that really the aesthetics should take a backseat to gameplay, having a good looking game is nowhere near as important as fun and engaging game.

Mike
  5. Satch3L

Satch3L Member

I know notch have allready tweeted about the kickstarter! And I think he contributed too. He seemed very excited about the game!

But yeah, it would be great if more internet celebrities could help out and talk about the game!

But there is lots of days left on the kickstarter, so i'm not worried that we'll not reach the goal! :)
  6. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

First off, I love the art style. Though the terrain isn't like SupCom/TA, I loved it. Can't make it identical to the original anyway.

As for publicity, well, it's been up on kickstarter for like 4 days and already has nearly half a million pledges. I think the word is getting out fast. I doubt publicity is really a problem, though more probably wouldn't do any harm.

Anyway, they said they are already giving out way more info then they ever would this early in the development. I doubt they will confirm too much this early (esp. the art style, which will probably evolve a lot).
  7. KNight

Actually I'd say that's the least likely thing to evolve, first off, Art is expensive, a lot more than people realize, second, look at everything that was already created for the Visualization, sure it might not be able to use used "straight out of the box" as it were, but there is just too much work put in to get to this point to just throw it all away.

Will there be changes? Of course, but think of it more as refining and optimizing than evolving.

Mike
  8. galaxy366

galaxy366 Member

Do know that the game will have modding in mind :)

So I don't see why a talented modding team wouldn't make a more realistic mod ^^!

Thing with this art style is that it makes the game stand out, makes it feel fresh and cool.
  9. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

The Art style is great, do we really want more brown and bloomy games with no colors? I got a bit tired, let it be colorfull :mrgreen:
  10. JWest

JWest Active Member

One of the things they already mentioned about the art style was that it's quicker and cheaper to produce. Since they're trying to make this game on a limited budget, it's easier to produce a game with this art style and still make it look good, whereas if you tried to make a realistic game on a limited budget it would end up looking rather bad.

I think it looks distinctive, though I understand why it wouldn't be everyone's taste.
  11. luukdeman111

luukdeman111 Member

So where talking about a solar system level, epic scale, ground based rts where bases can be build on moons and asteroids smashed into planets while having a rare flowing economy system and you're saying the art style is going to set it apart? XD

This game is going to be nothing like any other RTS ever (exept TA/SupCom perhaps) so I honestly don't think it's going to need the art style for that.

I still love the art style though, I only thought your comment was funny
  12. KNight

No, I'm saying the art style is ONE of the things things that will set it apart.

Mike
  13. luukdeman111

luukdeman111 Member

Yeah, sorry. I noticed that only after I posted. I thought you said: art styl is the thing that's gonna....
  14. Shadowfury333

Shadowfury333 Member

I quite like this art style. It's appropriately over-the-top bombastic, lends itself to designing primarily for role recognition and distinctiveness, and it's refreshingly brightly coloured.
  15. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

I actually really like the art style. If they can match the trailer 1:1 as far as art style goes I'd be really happy. The terrain actually looked pretty good to me, as far as foliage and mountains went. Seemed a little cramped, but that's probably because it's a concept trailer and they needed to quickly show us as much as they could.
  16. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

It had to be done pretty fast, from what I saw the buildings and everything units wise is extremely detailed.
  17. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

That's what I gathered as well. I'm sure it'll look great, I'm just curious how "dense" the game will be. Too dense and it's a chore to maneuver, but too sparse and you get maps that feel empty and desolate (many attribute SC's lack of "charm" to this particular problem).
  18. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

I really like the art style, everything looks nice and chunky and just itching to be exploded.

Much as I love Forged Alliance, there is definitely something missing from the explosions that was there in TA, and the more I think about the more I think it's the art style and the way things feel. The scale was wonky in Supcom too, the smallest unit was meant to be 9m tall but it didn't look or feel like it.
  19. kuroiroy

kuroiroy New Member

It would be awesome if TB did a video but it won't happen if there is nothing playable to make a video about
  20. luukdeman111

luukdeman111 Member

Yeah, I send him a pm about this game but he didn't respond yet. It does seem like his kind of game though so if he's as excited as we are he could make a very short announcement vid I guess...