PTE Stream: 68772-main (Read before playing or posting)

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, July 11, 2014.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

First rule of PTE Club: Play with --no-mods until you're 100% sure it doesn't break anything. Otherwise we'll simply ask you why you didn't do it in the first place. :D

This is a HIGHLY experimental build. If you don't read it thoroughly and follow all instructions, please don't post. :mad:

Systems: You need to make custom systems for this build. Because reasons. Auto-generated systems, or old custom systems will probably be broken. Or at least subject to easy breaking. So, don't do it. It will invalidate any playing or testing on this build. o_O Curious why? Watch this:

NO Galactic War: If you want to test, avoid galactic war. For one, the systems will probably be broken, and secondly, we don't get replays of those currently, so it makes it impossible for us to see what happened if you report a bug. :)

Bug Reporting: For any bug, report:
    • What happened
    • LobbyID of the game (if it wasn't a crash)
    • Timestamp of the bug in Chronocam
    • Screenshot in your post of where it happened, if applicable (It helps us find the right location in your replay)
    • In the event of a game crash, server or client, just provide as much information as you can that is relevant to the situation.
    There are a lot of places in this build where weird things may happen. This build has some drastic changes in it. A short list:
    • A bunch of new client side multi-threading
    • Voxel based flow fields. Our entire pathfinding system has changed. It's still flow field, but it's using an entirely new way to generate the flow field and for units to path.
    • Significant work to reduce recon costs on tree heavy systems. Sim impact, especially late game as more trees get destroyed/reclaimed.
    • Lots of UI iteration.
    • Incidental planet collisions and a number of changes/improvements to overall celestial behaviors and system setups
    • Some more lobby perf improvements
    • A ton of other things I'm probably forgetting at the moment.
    Please hop in, playtest, and have fun, but please read this carefully before posting. There are a lot of changes in this build, though many of them won't be obvious at first glance.
  2. garat

Oh, and celestial transfer balance will be out of whack in new systems. Since the distances have been increased in solar systems, orbital transfer might be a lot slower than normal.
  3. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

Now THAT looks interesting. Excellent work. I look forwards to seeing where this goes.
    Remy561 and ArchieBuld like this.
  4. jtibble

jtibble Active Member

5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

First. Also, could we use a server mod to increase orbital speed and just call it balance adjust if we can? Assuming something didn't break server mods? Oh, I should test Statera.

EDIT:
    I didn't look the video, assuming it was the no clipping planets... You sparked interest, and holy crap that did not just happen. Can... Can people build systems to do that? That is going to be of questionable taste...
    Remy561 likes this.
  6. garat

After you've verified stuff is working, it's always fine to start adding mods back in - just please don't report bugs on modded games. It invalidates the information 9 times out of 10. :)
  7. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Sounds really cool especially the planet collisions thats gonna make some system designers really happy.
  8. thetrophysystem

Heck, one more question. With these planet clipping collisions, and the aforementioned flow field change, does that mean pathing into the craters of collisions is now possible? I can test that when I load PTE.
  9. wondible

wondible Post Master General

So you were only half-kidding about 'a build' right before the tournament ;^)
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

This one is just great! Hope @Elitron can make some post about this. :rolleyes:
    Remy561 likes this.
  11. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

This is a kick *** update.

Been waiting for this for a long time!
  12. garat

We do not regenerate nav meshes on the fly yet. However, it should be more possible to do now. I'll talk to Elitron about it about the challenges therein now that he has his checkin of epicness... checked in.
    Remy561, ArchieBuld and cwarner7264 like this.
  13. thetrophysystem

Singleplayer top option, multiplayer second option? Maybe rename Singleplayer/Galactic, and Multiplayer/Skirmish?

There is a listen to spectators option. Allows spectator chat to players?

There is a land anywhere option. That literally allows land anywhere?

Shoot, I forgot to create a system XD I want to launch right now though so only doing single planet to avoid collision.
    Quitch likes this.
  14. thetrophysystem

background moving banner to "start annihilation".

Spawn in actually has "falling commander animation" and him appearing afterwards. I would swear his unique model was inside the landing animation too, but I might have been excited to see it.

Statera works.

The planet I am on is heavily water. Single planet systems seem to work by auto-generator, as long as it is moon or metal. Lava and earth probably has more water than intended in generator.

Is... is the UI ultra mega smooth or is it just me? Let me copy paste about a thousand units.

Build icons now have symbols in their corner indicating their strat icon.

Is framerate at least double this build as well? UI response and framerate?

New unit explosions correct? I think I see pieces flying now.

Pfft, just promote this and turn off auto generated planets XD
    Last edited: July 11, 2014
    Remy561 and ArchieBuld like this.
  15. jtibble

jtibble Active Member

We need more videos of these planetary-collisions happening!
  16. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Well I had planned a romantic candle-lit dinner with the missus tonight.

I'm sure I can reschedule.
  17. garat

I highly recommend not, unless you have a seriously comfortable couch.
    EdWood, lokiCML, Raevn and 5 others like this.
  18. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

SO comfy you wouldn't believe.
    emraldis likes this.
  19. Mereth

Mereth Active Member

The "land anywhere" is marvelous ! You can really land anywhere you want ! No spawn point at all !
  20. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Woah. The spawn animation is the commander in an Astraeus.
    could fit a single use one as well