PTE Steam: 65407

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, May 7, 2014.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Hey all,

New build is live. Should fix a number of bugs related to icons, and also continues to iterate on a major change to our pathfinding systems.

That is the main focus. We know the pathfinding can still break. What we really need to know is how to break it, and under what circumstances in particular its running into problems (Biome type - full seed can be very helpful, unit composition, what you're trying to do, etc)..

Other than that, it's just a good build to continue playing with the latest balance pass, and try out changes.

Enjoy!
    dukyduke, drz1, zweistein000 and 2 others like this.
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

First.

And fixes are always welcome, I just like the balance (although it can always be better)
  3. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Unit Changes
    Commander

Uber cannon burn radius: 35 -> 15

Metal Extractor
    Metal Production: 5 -> 7

AA Missile Vehicle "Spinner"
    Health: 80 -> 160

Other Changes
    • Social: Can now search in the friends list
    • [Not yet enabled] Social: Upcoming change display name feature:
      upload_2014-5-7_19-49-40.png
      upload_2014-5-7_19-49-50.png
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
  4. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

T1 metal back to 7 instead of 5.
    Vehicle AA health 80 -> 160
    zweistein000 and thetrophysystem like this.
  5. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

and the waiting game for raevn's notes begins...
    Raevn likes this.
  6. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

*insert jaws theme*

edit: @burntcustard got all the unit changes
  7. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

I feel I should get a medal for beating Raevn, but actually it was metabolical who gave me the heads up.

Uh the idea with the Spinner change was that it was supposed to survive a Bumblebee bomb, but.. does it? I couldn't get the AI to use bombers against me :( PA-DB says:
    • Damage: 75.0 DPS: 300 damage every 4.00 seconds (0.25 shots per second)
    • Splash: 150 damage, radius 10
    So to me it looks like 300 > 160 and it won't survive. To me the Spinner should shoot 50% faster than the Stinger because it has 12 missile "holes" instead of 8, but at the same time tanks should be tanky. Either way I'm glad it finally got a buff, even if it means T1 vehicles are EVEN better than bots right now.

The pathfinding seems a lot better, I haven't noticed any units get stuck. I'm still having my large formations turn into "strands" and spread out in awkward ways to avoid wreckage - this is more noticeable with the larger amount of units that are flowing around because of T1 > T2, and the back-to-normal mexs.

Example, this blob was a big square with a move command just a few seconds before this picture was taken:
    [​IMG]

Also the eco bar text has a crappy looking glow and some in game UI fonts aren't what they should be.
  8. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

If spinners can survive a bomb, that would mean you want to start with vehicles for the spinners but stingers on area patrol might still be the best counter to gunships. I really love when units all have situations where they do best.
  9. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Pathing bug:

When fabricators are sent to area reclaim and they encounter an obstacle, they will continue to reclaim whatever is in reach. If the obstacle blocks their direct path to the next target, they will often get permanently stuck, out of reach of their target. This is not always the case, and it appears to be a bigger issue with larger obstacles.
    [​IMG]
    Besides the regular pathing view shown, is there a pathing-related console command that might be helpful for identifying possible pathing problems? I can't remember or easily find a list of PA's console commands.

EDIT: Nevermind, found a post mentioning the file that lists console commands, I'll take a look at it.
    EDIT2: Disregard the last edit, still can't find a full list of the actual commands.
    JesterOC likes this.
  10. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

found a bug: supersampling screws up fog of war

EDIT: So does subsampling

EDIT EDIT: After testing it seems like fog of war gets randomly screwed up for no reason after changing video settings, I haven't found any correlation between setting changes and graphical glitches, if it means anything I have a GTX 760 running latest drivers (Geforce Experience says so)

FINAL EDIT(hopefully): I think i figured it out, when you change the resolution scale while keeping the shadow settings constant, fog of war gets screwed up because the client doesn't regenerate planets, after I get graphical glitches from changing resolution scale, if I change the shadows from high to uber back to high there are no more graphical fog of war glitches
    thelordofthenoobs and Raevn like this.
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Pretty old bug: PA#3323
  12. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Very happy to see the pathing bugs. Pathing on certain biomes and over long distances have been a problem for a while. :-(

Keep up the great work!
  13. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Besides the first image (same as the one posted earlier), a couple pathing issues that don't involve trees (for a change). Some desert brushes marked as passable causing units to get stuck, wreckage forcing units to walk straight into obstructions.

Also noticed that strategic icons are showing up through the terrain around the horizon (at least on size 200 planets), which is a little annoying.
    trialq and jtibble like this.
  14. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

The damage here is total damage a bomber deals if the units are in a line along the radius. So max a unit can be hit is 150, but every subsequent unit along the 10m radius gets hit a little less and less. The 300 is the value added up of say every meter till the 10th but I haven't gotten a reply on this so unsure how the maths works.

Another bomber nerf. Air first gone now. Too many changes ruin a build.
  15. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

I'll take a look at this as soon as I get home from lectures. So in about 6 hours.
  16. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Does splash damage still stack with normal damage? If so, it's still 300 damage per bomb.
  17. JesterOC

JesterOC New Member

When I had a unit selected (Mostly this was the nuke launcher) on occasion I could not switch the camera to another planet. To target consistently I had to make the launcher a selection group, unselect it, jump to the other planet and then hit the selection group to select and assign target.

I am not sure but I think this happened with the teleporter (which I was never able to link together). It happened several times when I did not know what unit I had selected.
  18. wondible

wondible Post Master General

I can build orbital factory without crashing :)

Still don't see selection icons, and units under construction can appear below the factory.

The worst pathing I had on the previous build was a "made from stats" version of the system from Oath's stream a few days ago (it had more trees than most things I'd generated) I just did a quick test and still saw some issues. It mostly seemed to appear over burnt-down areas - I didn't notice anything until I started some fires, but that could be coincidence. I was using mixed vehicles or bots on multi-point paths.

Vehicle ratio:
    • "basic tank": 5
    • AA: 1
    • Inferno: 1
    • Scout: 1
    Bot ratio:
    • Dox: 3
    • AA: 1
    • Grenadier: 1
  19. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Normally this will max hit 1 target 150. Not at home to test. But see how many bombers it takes to take out a lazer tower. Was hp/150 last time I tested and not 300. I will look into it more myself later. Curious to see if max total damage is 300 or if you clump a lot of units tightly it will exceed that.

Edit: using the new bomber dps numbers and not when I tested.
  20. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Don't forget, though, Clopsey - this is purely experimentation unless expressly stated to be otherwise.

We had a meeting with Brad last night and the primary topic of discussion was Uber's mindset with how they approach the balancing process - hopefully we can put out something which should make this a bit clearer.
    thelordofthenoobs and drz1 like this.