[PTE] Epic Incidental Planet Smash Mistake

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jtibble, July 24, 2014.

1. jtibble

jtibble Active Member

My buddy and I were testing the latest PTE build, on a 7-bodysystem he had concocted:
    1 spawning planet
    2 secondary planets, each with 2 moons orbiting
    All 7 bodies in eliptical orbits, criss-crossing around the sun.

35 minutes in, he and I have both built 3 halleys on separate moons in a race to annihilate the AI on one of the secondary planets. My buddy fires his halleys up first and his moon starts to move. It loops around its main planet and begins towards the sun.... then smashes straight into my 3-halley moon, in-orbit around the target planet (see picture)!!

Result? All halleys destroyed on both moons, and both of our moons cut in half, orbiting the target planet, now with a total of 3 moons.

GG :cool:

Thank you to all the incredibly hard-working folks at Uber for your amazing work on this game, and I hope this gets some people excited at the possibilities!

Attached Files:

Last edited: July 24, 2014
    Quitch, GoodOak, donut64 and 6 others like this.
  2. sycspysycspy

sycspysycspy Active Member

I am confused ....
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  3. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Yeah, so incidental contact can happen now. And yes there are circumstances where blind luck means that this happens. We discussed trying to avoid every instance of this and decided to roll with this. We'll see ;)
    drz1, Quitch, donut64 and 6 others like this.
  4. jtibble

jtibble Active Member

Oh, I love it, because now it's not so simple as just 'send planet to annihilate'.... you have to wait until the orbits are clear!
  5. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

It's probably rare, but I can imagine that a planet with a lot of tiny moons could possibly be shielded from a planet smash! Does it really count as pure luck if you know you are sending your asteroid through a crowded area? It's just a risky move!
  6. neutrino

It's pretty much luck yeah.
  7. jtibble

jtibble Active Member

I can imagine a tournament map like this:

1 starting planet with 3 moons
    1 secondary, resource-rich planet with 3 moons guarding it

Players rush to the second planet to claim it, but any number of moons could be flung that way.... but would they smash? It's not able to be known until the orbits line up and the moon actually gets there!
  8. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

well i think that depends on where the target location is set. The hallied moon doesn't always have to hit the equator of a planet. They usually take a curve and hit the target head on.
  9. cptconundrum

Well the other planets are all just on rails going in circles, right? Would it be too hard computationally to find where the projected path of the moving object would intersect the other orbits, and then mark it with an explosion icon if they are expected to both be there at the same time? I guess this depends on whether the path of the moving planet is simulated or calculated in advance.
  10. jtibble

jtibble Active Member

I think the planets transit in the plane of the ecliptic, so if the moons were 'guarding' far enough out, the incoming moon would still be in the plane trying to push past them before it curves up or down towards the poles, right?
  11. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Worst case scenario I suppose the planet smash orbits could travel around a different orbital plane than the main one to avoid other planets, no?
    Or perhaps we could get the 'change orbit' functionality back, so we could have more control over where it goes and when, before finally smashing it.
  12. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

I think the fact that incidental planet smashing introduces a failure rate to the strategy to be fantastic. It really opens up new possibilities for play, and enhances the way the mechanic currently works.
    Quitch, corteks and thelordofthenoobs like this.
  13. neutrino

Which is why we left it in.
  14. shiwanabe

shiwanabe Member

It's also Logical and AWESOME~!
    (I need to get me a copy of that caption-head-thing)
  15. Aliessil

Aliessil Active Member

I'm gonna have to build a system and try that!! Wonder how many moons I can get orbiting a planet? :D
  16. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

It's one of those times when we can't decide if this should be a bug or a feature. I vote feature!
    Last edited: July 24, 2014
    jtibble likes this.
  17. Pinworm

Pinworm Active Member

While I am totally in favour of this because I think it's awesome, I can also see that.. if a tournament was decided by this, well, that'd be kind of lame.

Maybe put a flag, "allow incidental contact"? Or even a step further and have a checkbox for "tournament mode" that implements more symetry to the spawns and such.
    jtibble likes this.
  18. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

This is an awesome feature. Thanks for leaving it there!
    jtibble likes this.
  19. cptconundrum

awesome.jpg
  20. Aliessil

Aliessil Active Member

Well ... you could argue that if it's that important, don't use a system where it's likely! :D

I managed to sneak into the system editor during a teleconf this morning and knocked up a quick system with 2 planets; the first has 3 moons which are Halley-allowable, the other has 9 moons which aren't. When I get a chance I'll try and arrange a game to see what happens :)
    corteks likes this.