Project Update #8: Galactic War (New Stretch Goal)Disccusion

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neophyt3, September 7, 2012.

1. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

Update 8 is out! And it's one that's actually exciting!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659 ... 304868cd73

By the way, this:
    "Dynamic story system that logs your fight and generates exciting counter attacks and special missions that up the challenge level"
    Really made me happy. Boneyards anyone?

Plus it sounds kinda like a simplified campaign with both single and co-op player options.
    Last edited: September 7, 2012
  2. syx0

syx0 New Member

Re: Project Update #8: Galactic War Disccusion

could be cool.

This stretchgoal makes me sad though.
    The next (5th) stretchgoal will almost certainly not be funded with the bar set already at $2mil.

Please go ahead and announce it anyway. Its been implied that any stretchgoal that doesn't make it will probably become an expansion pack or dlc or something. I would rather know what the final one is now, rather than 2 years from now.
  3. magicide1

magicide1 Member

Personally I would take that over the gas giants and orbitals or metal maps. The core gameplay is solid without them, the galactic war on the other hand would really help give the game longevity if it's done correctly. Supposedly most players never even touch multiplayer so a reasonable facsimile of a single player campaign would be great.
  4. mortiferusrosa

mortiferusrosa Member

Gonna be the realist and say we are not going to make it to stretch goal 4. Im pretty sure we will cap at 3.

I will admit that I think that stretch goal 4 would be an excellent addition to the game for the player base that prefers single/co-op gameplay. I love this game niche and I think that if stretch goal 4 makes it then the game would rather significantly widen its player base.
  5. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

Who knows, a lot of kickstarter projects get giant boosts in the last few days; as in hundreds of thousands of dollars in one go. Still, I kinda expected the 5th goal to be at $1.9 mil. Doubt it now.
    Last edited: September 7, 2012
  6. syx0

syx0 New Member

It sounds to me almost exactly like the "Galactic Conquest" campaign present in Starwars Battlefront 2, except instead of playing 3rd person shooter battles on small maps tied to each planet, we play glorious RTS over the entirety of solarsystems.

I don't really feel like it would add significantly to the gameplay directly, but it could keep more people interested for a lot longer, which would improve online play dramatically.

Does it plan to literally be a map of maps and you fight over each region to claim it? Or will it be more like the Dawn of War games where the player can slowly build a vanguard of units to enter a new battle with him from the very beginning?
  7. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

Actually, if you ever played boneyards over a decade ago, you'll notice this is almost exactly like that. So maybe Starwars Battlefront 2 got it from that?

Also, by looking at kickstaq, I've noticed a fairly big bump in the amount pledged already. Seems this has more people excited then I thought. Though it does seem to be mostly from people increasing their donations.
  8. zordon

zordon Member

Re: Project Update #8: Galactic War (New Stretch Goal)Disccu

[​IMG]
  9. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

First "Do Want" pick I've seen :D

By the way, the only "Do Not Want" pic I use, is the one I quote from you.
  10. zordon

zordon Member

I've noticed neo :D
  11. syx0

syx0 New Member

I'm coming around to the idea actually. This has the potential for awesome.

I need to see the new stretchgoal image art. What is the asteroid gonna collide with then?

I would increase my pledge, but it's already at $225.
    $150 + $15(shipping) + $60(2 glorious t-shirts)

Not that I expect it would make you a huge amount of extra money, uber. But apart from the reluctance of most people to pay multiple hundreds of dollars for a game, I suspect you will find that a lot of us aren't all that fussed about most of the physical rewards.
    This means that there quite a few of us who actually look at your reward tiers and think:
    $100 - awesome
    $150 - awesome
    $1000 - awesome but too big a jump.
    The stuff in between just isn't appealing to everybody.
    If you have the time, ideas, and etc. It would be cool for you to create new digital incentives for $250 and $500. You might squeeze several grand more.
  12. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

I SO want this to make it to the Galactic War goal.
  13. zachb

zachb Member

I disagree but only because I plan on playing this at lan parties a lot. And if I am going to be playing 1-3 hour matches I'd rather have a few more map types than the ultra mega super huge galaxy map.

It'll be great fun at home, but I'd rather have the gas and metal planets first.

Oh and as far as the "This in place of a single player game" idea. We'll still have some decent tools for modders to make single player campaigns right? I would still enjoy a structured single player campaign, even if I have to go onto the wilds of the internet to find it.
  14. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

And of course they save the best for last :)

Has the potential to be amazing if done well. Do want.

I am skeptical about whether we will make it though. $1.8 million is possible, but at present rate of increase it is not going to happen. We need to spread the word.
  15. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

Not positive, but wasn't this something that they where always going to have in there? Right from when they put up the kickstarter?
  16. zordon

zordon Member

It had been discussed (for instance in the pcgamer interview) but in the context of we want to have instead of we will have.
  17. doctorzuber

doctorzuber New Member

oh Wow... I'm very excited about the possibility of a campaign, even more so with the idea of it being a procedurally generated random campaign like they describe. That sounds like a lot of fun to me.

half a mil in 7 days? Not sure... I hope it happens though.
  18. logon

logon Member

Not doing this will be a big miss, this is what would give the game longivity(?) i thought they where trying to do this with the 900k because without this it's only like P2P multiplaer (because matchmaking was not sure) and skirmish AI.

Galaxy war is a big mistake not putting in, 1,8 mil is far away
  19. Zoughtbaj

Zoughtbaj Member

Oh my goodness. Want so bad. I'm sorry I can't up...Hmm.

I dare everyone to make a thread on the Starcraft forums with this video linked. Watch all the troll posts, and then watch as the trolls wet themselves from the awesome and help kickstarter.
  20. skunkyger

skunkyger Member

I don't think it's going to make it to 1.8 million dollars, which sucks. Make it a DLC.