Problems MNC has to Face if it Wants to Succeed

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by NeoCyberman, May 27, 2011.

1. NeoCyberman

NeoCyberman Active Member

A while back I saw the MNC Review by Angry Joe and he said he enjoyed the general atmosphere and character personality but felt that MNC had a weak tutorial that was difficult to find.

Also he said that it could be said the assassin class was a bit overpowered.
    Scratch the above.

Now MNC PC has dealt with the Assassin issue with a number of balance changes which have not really taken the fun out of assassin. (The exception being that assassin juice is a bit lackluster as of recent)

The feel of the gameplay has changed as of recent with the overtime change. I personally feel that a good deal of teamwork is required.

The thing is the game has trouble accommodating new people without affecting overall balance. Matchmaking would be difficult and level restriction does not account for skill. The tutorial is still weak and the class roles are not stated. A lot of things we take as common knowledge are integral to good play. Rookies don't get that information because they don't come to the official forums.

MNC still has these connected problems. Suggestions to tackle each?
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
  2. VLAD

VLAD New Member

I`ve always thought a tutorial for more than one class would be very helpful, with more tips during said tutorial for these specific classes

Example: Gunner Tutorial.

"Though your mortar is a good tool for dealing with bots or gaining juice, it is best suited for destroying turrets."
    ~or~
    "Try to avoid using the minigun against bots or turrets,where it truly shines is dispatching pros"

And did`nt Angry Joe suggest it was the support who was over powered?
  3. NeoCyberman

Edited.

Good ideas

And what was Angry Joe on when he said that. The support is the most balanced class ever. His tools and skills give the player a way to directly translate their map knowledge and situational awareness into teamwork and winning.
  4. VLAD

VLAD New Member

I think the review was made back when the game came out, and supports skills were much spammier.

and thanks!
  5. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

But, but, but... Steel Peel is my favorite map! as well as a few of the devs. ;)
  6. NeoCyberman

I like a bunch of the features on the map but there is that one glass wall in the base that any player class can access and use to annoy the opposing team.

You know the one.

I'll have screens of it. I just with it was heightened or the burn effect applied.
  7. heavensnight

heavensnight Member

i fukin love steel peel
  8. NeoCyberman

Stop understanding the in's and out's of that map.

Its getting making my point harder than it should be.
  9. kotay

kotay New Member

well personally i really do not think this game needs a tutorial, it is incredibly simple to play and understand, just the players are odious retards who do not know their arse from their elbow.

I think main problem is that this is a team game and people these days prefer to play for themselves, if it had a tdm mode, even if everyone was a tank and only had railgun and it was instagib (only thing i could think of without changing any classes as the skills of some classes would be pointless for tdm/dm) then more people would play it, as no one cares how many bots you killed people only care about kdr.

Also they should forget about new people as this game is completely dead, revert back to old patch and make the game good for the hardcore few that have stuck by this dead game.
  10. FatCatAttack

FatCatAttack New Member

Catering to the "hardcore few" is dumb because in games with no subscription without growth of the player base uber cannot make any money. There's no reason whatsoever for them to do that.

The base game needs to be made solid enough to retain players. As I've said before people will play samey maps if they enjoy the experience. Think about how many people play Counter Strike on de_dust 2 over and over.

The sniper in particular needs a nerfbat hard. One of the games most ardent defenders, Sunny Dove, said as much on his youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjzcddSW4_I. Xcal has been completely silent about MNC and hasn't touched it in weeks. He's not fond of snipers in general in any game, and he plays tank a lot...put two and two together here.
  11. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

Everyone complains about some maps. Sniper haters complain about G3. Support haters complain about AM. Heavy haters complain about LazorRazor. Assassin haters complain about Spunky.

They did put an elbow on Steelpeel. I have seen good teams take advantage of that if they are trapped in spawn, if that is what you are referring to. You can pretty much do the same on G3, if your team is trapped in you can jump from perch to middle and jumppad to a side.

To refer to a map like it is exclusively broken isn't something you can do with any one map.
  12. kotay

kotay New Member

not really as this game doesnt get new players, so why change the game for the people that do play it often in some kind of vain hope that it will attract new players. Even if someone did buy it they would start it up, see that there are no servers and not bother to play again whilst grumbling about the ten pounds they just threw away.

oh but i see, you think uber should **** over the people that do play it in order to attract more people to the game, who will do what i said above, but it doesnt matter cos they got an extra tenner. fair enough.
  13. FatCatAttack

FatCatAttack New Member

Getting new players is not difficult. One of the advantages of an online platforms such as steam is that the game can be "re-released" through sales and free weekends. Since these specials show up on the front page and pop up through steam everybody instantly knows about em.

Also to be frank gamers are a pretty easily abused consumer group. There's a pretty infamous picture of the Boycott Black Ops steam group where pretty much everyone there is playing Black ops. IIRC you yourself made some post a while back about you not playing or coming here anymore...and yet here you are. Uber has nothing to lose and everything to gain by making changes to the game.
  14. NeoCyberman

If I may clarify my issue with steel peel came recently. It was as if suddenly everyone on the opposing team gained... map knowledge! The map is notorious for having a number of ways competent players can lock in the other team.

I do like the fact that sometimes quick action during the first few minutes of the game can put into motion the conditions necessary to end the game. But there are a few non-exploits that make me shake my head.

I'm sorry if I implied the map should be removed or anything.

Now hold on there. I do understand where you are coming from. But I only wish to put more tools for the edification of players ingame.

I have read your other points and after teaching players first hand I can say that if a player does not care to not suck they deserve to suck. True? But I have had people contact me and come to me for aid in learning the game so that they don't feel like they wasted 15 bucks. From what I have learned these players are in some cases not motivated enough or don't know the game has an official site.

I love Uber but I am noticing that, while they do have the freedom to experiment, it does not mean that they can make a bad implementation decision and not address complaints (the OT changes are getting to me). The damage nerfs towards turrets by juiced turrets did waiver my favor (teehee) of the game. I won't bother with the exact reason that feeling did not last long.

Never the less, as long as the games balance does not change beyond better clarification and implementation of the OT rule change, changes to juice turret damage I'd be happy. My only other beef is that map design in the case of Steel Peel needs but a minor tweak.
  15. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

How many elbows will they have to add to satisfy?

There are 2 front openings, which are easily sealed with the same group of enemies for all the doors. There is a side opening too, which is partially also held by the enemy at your front door.

However, if 2 teammates exited the elbow, and shot up the enemy, while the rest pushed altogether out the front, you would send half the enemy to the spawnroom and the rest to their base in retreat.

I swear that the map is fine, it is just more people know how to lock the spawn, than know to unlock it.
  16. NeoCyberman

Tell you what. I'll give the map some looks over from a top down point/ An examination of all back doors/ A look at all jump routes and a pro-con list in comparison to all the other maps.

I'll give the map another chance while empty and while playing. Though I do contend that the map has flaws in terms of the ability to camp in odd areas.
  17. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

Every map has exploitables. That is what makes different makes different maps different.

Most people perfer the closed and direct feel of steelpeel, to the open and spread out feel of G3. Or the clustered feel of Tully's
  18. kotay

kotay New Member

firstly this is not black ops, people will always moan about cod games then buy them, they buy them as hundreds of thousands of other people bought them and you are guaranteed to get games constantly.

I agree with you getting new players is not difficult especially with steam promotions, retaining players is the difficult part. So I can understand that uber making changes to make it easier for new people but personally I think it is a bit silly, I stopped playing due to crap changes being made, many others too, and I visit here to check in vain that some changes will be reverted.

Therefore I think if the changes uber are making are turning people, who love the game, away from the game, then maybes they are making the wrong decisions.

It is not about games being too hard for noobs, many games are much more punishing on noobs than mnc (hon, ut series, many rts games), mnc actually is a ridiculously easy game, even at release, the game shouldn't suffer just cos most people are too retarded to even try and improve themselves.

NeoCyberman: Yes some people have asked you for help, which is good for them, but how many bad players asked you for help compared to how many have ignored advice?

Also whilst I think it is a good thing that they actually ask for help, I also think it is amazing how people cannot think "I'll type monday night combat guide into google and see what comes up"

All in all while I think you both make good points lets see what happens after next steam sale, I would say nothing, this game will still lack players when the free weekend is over.
  19. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

At the stage it is in, I would say it retains enough players.

Even on the xbox, I can find 1 server open at any time, and multiple during peak hours. So even without a single change, at the end of the day people are playing it.

When they do release mod tools, a xbox update, or a sequel, they will get another big and maintained boost. It sucks that the work-load is so big, because it really is and that is really what is going to take them forever.

Meanwhile, sit back and enjoy the improvements. Lol. Can you honestly say that you miss getting mowed down with juice when you are trying to carry a bad team against 3 good players? At least you have that. Other than that, keep a gunner with gold rate as a switch-to class in case of turtlers.
  20. kotay

kotay New Member

less than 200 players is not retaining enough players, and i never got mowed down with juice when carrying **** players.