Power generators animation

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by arm2thecore, March 5, 2014.

1. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Lol, definitely hard to please everyone. I'll settle with someone (myself).
    shotforce13, Geers, corruptai and 2 others like this.
  2. Zoliru

Zoliru Active Member

O.........Kaaaaaaay.....

that sounded.......

hmmmmm.....

nvm.........
  3. arm2thecore

arm2thecore Active Member

Can't please everyone of course Jon, but I hope you don't consider my criticism for the lack of the Golus Effect as criticism for the game in general.

I often wonder how your attitude must be impacted by the ratio of complaints to compliments you get - because it's easier for people to complain than compliment.

So with that said, I compliment you and the Uber team on a damn fine game! You should all be proud of what you've accomplished so far. The technology, music, art and just the game in general still blows me away and will continue for a long time, I suspect.
  4. arm2thecore

Now please add the Golus Effect option.

LOL! Just kidding! :)
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

dsf.png

... I hadn't noticed!
    put that one in the PA puns thread.
  6. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

Why not make the lightning flickers slower?

like have one big discharge arc around the pgen every half second to second or so. That shouldn't be as bad for the seizure problem
  7. plink

plink Active Member

It looked almost glitchy when it was 'lightning' speed.
  8. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Mostly it depends on how I'm feeling that day. Overall though I've realized I really truly cannot please everyone because people have divergent opinions. So I try to listen to what people are saying and then make a call that I like.

And no this wasn't about calling out your golus effect criticism. More of a flippant comment of the kind I would make when I'm having a rough day.
    cdrkf and aevs like this.
  9. arm2thecore

Hmm. Not a bad idea, but not near as interesting to look at. Ben nailed it with his accident. At first it reminded me of color cycle animation from Jay Miner hardware in the 80's/90's, but was pulled off with great effect and really had an impact, I think.

Woops, I'm supposed to be done crying about it. :)

Many more irons in the fire of course - visual/polishing and otherwise - I was just initially curious as to why it was removed.

Brings up another question for me though - and I by no means mean this as disrespectful or uncaring for people prone to epileptic seizures, because it is no laughing matter. But, if I were prone to having them I think one of the last things I'd be doing is playing a video game. What am I missing here?
  10. arm2thecore

It's kind of humorous- the first thing that came to mind was "wonder if Jon is having a rough one."

Hope it gets better, my friend.
  11. Spriggan43

Spriggan43 Active Member

I think it looks super awesome!
  12. arm2thecore

13. Spriggan43

Spriggan43 Active Member

14. arm2thecore

Thanks for the link ... where I gathered a number of people thought it was awesome enough to be declared Uber awesome. :)

For what it's worth, I see nothing "disco" about more accurately visually depicting a nasty, mean-*** power generator nanolathed by robots being internally tortured in order to do the bidding of its creators. The calm, relaxed fade/bright cycling now employed strangely reminds me of elevator music, whereas before it was early RUSH.

To possibly conclude this thread, Ben Golus was a genius (by accident, but I'm not going to remember it that way), Jon had a rough day and people (including me) are more apt to be complainers by nature, Jay Miner had bitchin' hardware, the "Golus Effect" was removed on questionable grounds of initiating epileptic seizures, and ...

Time to try to kick the AI's ***.
  15. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

Well first it was a hyper active flicker animation, but now it's like the powerplant is dying, maybe you can find something in between hyper active and dying power plant ^^
  16. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

17. arm2thecore

An elevator that plays early RUSH? Hmm. LOL! Kidding.
  18. arm2thecore

Well, my AI butt-kicking exercise didn't turn out so well. I'm pretty sure it's because my power generators weren't "flashy." :)
    ugh.jpg
  19. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Rule of thumb, when in doubt: what would Quitch like?
    shotforce13 likes this.
  20. Devak

Devak Post Master General

I truly couldn't decide whether that animation was awesome or trying to kill me by uploading a virus to my retina.

Some kind of flicker is nice and all, but this was just hectic.

Bonus points: damaged power plants flickering!
    paulusss likes this.