Power generators animation

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by arm2thecore, March 5, 2014.

1. arm2thecore

arm2thecore Active Member

A few releases ago when I saw the power generators with a flickering "lightning-like" animation, I was floored. Whoever did that was a genius. However, now they're relegated to a boring dim/bright cyclic animation, which ... isn't so genius.

Any chance we could have the bitchin' looking flickering back? When that was viewed from far away it was an awesome sight. Menacing.
    shotforce13, cdrkf, ace63 and 5 others like this.
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Apparently it was changed because some people thought it was somehow distracting.
    Would be cool to see it return, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
  3. byrnghaer

byrnghaer Active Member

Distracting? It was awesome haha. Guess you can't please everyone.
    Having the option would be nice, though I doubt they'll put that in the game.
  4. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

If someone has the old art, I bet we could mod it back into the game.
  5. arm2thecore

Distracting... really?

I bet the people that consider it distracting only have sex in the missionary position. That's what I think.
    shotforce13 likes this.
  6. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

i remember the posts where ppl were complaining about it. i never bothered to speak up and voice my opinion of how bitchin' it was, never dreamed they'd nerf the freaking energy animation!
    cdrkf, corruptai and cptconundrum like this.
  7. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

lightning was WAY better.

If you don't want to see fancy graphics, go play asteroids (the original arcade one)
  8. arm2thecore

Hey, Asteroids was the sole inspiration for me to become a self-taught professional programmer. But yeah... I completely know what you mean. LOL!

LIGHT-NING!

LIGHT-NING!

LIGHT-NING!
    cdrkf likes this.
  9. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Well they did remove secondary color selection because it was "not very noticeable" so I guess it wasn't unlikely that they would remove this as well...
  10. wheeledgoat

well, my knee-jerk reaction is "that sort of stuff adds polish and distinction to a game!" (cool pgen animation & secondary colors)

but then again, I've gotta trust in Uber. maybe that animation isn't worth the cpu cycles, or some such thing that I wouldn't understand anyway.
  11. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

I vote for the hyper active power generator return!!
    shotforce13 likes this.
  12. DalekDan

DalekDan Active Member

I liked it but honestly the chance of someone having a seizure watching the power-plants would've been pretty high before, this a fair compromise.
  13. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I believe the guy who did it was on the 11 hour live stream (Ben?) and said they uploaded the flickering one by mistake and it was awful.
  14. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

i miss the lightning too... :(
  15. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Well, the flickering was intentional; the exact appearance of the flickering was different from what I had intended. I likely checked in an earlier version of the effect on accident. However the reason it was removed because it skirted uncomfortable close to causing photosensitive epileptic episodes for some users (and some of my coworkers).
  16. arm2thecore

So YOU'RE the genius that put it in - even if it was different than intended, it was massively cool, Ben. That was good work and apparently a happy accident.

Really sorry to see it's not going to be in the final game, and I'm sure there won't be an option for the "Golus Effect." But I sure hope the game is moddable to the extent of adding that back in because it exuded tons of atmosphere. Seeing those flickering lights on the dark sides of planets was flat out AWESOME.
    wheeledgoat likes this.
  17. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

how about an tick-option called "Epilepsy Show" that turns them back to that effect?
    cdrkf and Spriggan43 like this.
  18. wheeledgoat

wimps.

SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST, I say!
    If my opponent is on the floor seizing instead of launching nuclear missiles at me, all the better. :p

seriously, though, thanks for the explanation. it was awesome while it lasted. staring at those pgens was like looking into my own soul.
  19. arm2thecore

Well, I'm not sure I'd go that far personally, but I will say that since the history of the game starting, that is one effect that really blew me away. And so simple...

OK, enough crying about it. :(
  20. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Golus Effects Mod... golus in Yiddish means exiled or dispersed, so it kind of works.:D