Post Humans Faction like the Core or Cybrans

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by DeathToARM, September 20, 2013.

1. DeathToARM

DeathToARM New Member

Will PA have a Faction of post human or pattern commanders like the Core or Cybrans? Not copies of minds but the original people modified or converted until nothing organic remains.

I now the Cybrans were technically trans-humans not post humans.
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

No. It has one unit pool with (apparently) different unit names, but no differences in stats.
    Commanders are the only unique things in the galaxy.

You might have a Commander who thinks it was a human once, but the robots he creates most certainly are not brain-transferred humans... though the (for lack of a better term) brain-addled Commander might think of them as its children.
  3. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

I belive that hes refearing to the commanders only, not the rest of the army.

I dont see why it would be impossible, say the acient race that made them hade discovered both how to make true AI and how to transfer there consciousness to machines. Some "commanders" may have a AI while some may have a "pattern" of a long dead biological.

The tech in both would be exactlly the same. (And dont drag in the "the human mind cant operate in the same way as a computer" argument, theres plenty of sci fi were a human mind is joined with a machine to circumvent such limitations, so it can be regarded as feasible).

The "lore" behind it could be the returning progenitors race (or there minds at least, in commander bodys).

From the lore posted thus far: "The Progenitors were coming …"
  4. nanolathe

Scifi doing it enough times just makes it a trope, not any more feasible.
    :p
  5. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

I would not be surprised if the progenitors are post humans.
  6. hailmikhail

hailmikhail Member

But that also raises the question, if the enemy are the Progenitors, and the progenitors could maybe be post humans, doesn't that mean you can (theoretically) play as a human then because of the Progenitor commander?
  7. nanolathe

The Progenitor Commander has not revealed the reason for that name.
    Just because you call yourself something, doesn't mean that what you've called yourself is truth.
  8. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Reminds me of the Holy Roman Empire.
  9. hailmikhail

hailmikhail Member

Yea, i know. It was just a thought, but you never know
  10. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I think the Progenitor Commander is kinda like Flayed Ones from the Necron Tomb Worlds. It wears the flesh of its enemies in mockery of them.

Well, it wears the name of its enemy in mockery of them, flesh would quickly be singed off. The thought is the same.
  11. nanolathe

Either that, or he's completely mad, or he's sympathetic to whomever the Progenitors are and champions their cause, or a myriad of other options.

The Progenitor has potential, different meanings for its name, for different people to identify with it in different and potentially conflicting ways.
    If Uber is smart, they won't lessen that potential... and they'll keep it deliberately vague.
  12. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

The progenitors don't even have to be powerful by themselves. Humens eventually died out in their war as far as we know. Maybe some of them got cloned from a cell-bank, survived in deep sleep in outer space etc. and now get brought back to take over again.

Ancient programming existing in all of those warmachines makes them submit to human orders unconditionally as it was their original design.

The fear of losing all freedom and to have to be enslaved again by their former creators and thus losing even their identity to their dominating presence... sounds pretty dreadful enough without there even having to be a human faction. :eek:
  13. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Do we know that the Progenitors call themselves that? It might have been a label applied by someone else.
  14. asgo

asgo Member

sounds reasonable, titles like that are usually applied far later on.
    And if it's not self-applied, it leaves enough options for interpretation, depending on the relation between the assigning and receiving party. (of course, if the naming happens with enough temporal distance, it might just be false and misinformed ;) )
  15. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

That was exactly what I was thinking.
  16. Devak

Devak Post Master General

The vaguer the Progenitors are, the better IMHO.

As to post-humans: i think these commanders ARE the posthumans.